Re: Smart List issue with triggers and filters (I don't use Marketo landing pages)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Smart List issue with triggers and filters (I don't use Marketo landing pages)

My goal is to collect the names of leads who filled out a form on a specific page. However, when I create a Smart List, I'm having this issue with the trigger and filters: I cannot add a constraint (e.g. Web Page) to "Fills Out Form." Instead, I have to create a "Filled Out Form" trigger and the "Visited Web Page" filter separately.

As a result, my lists of people in this Smart List may not be 100% accurate. For example, someone may visit a page for eBook #1 and then eBook #2, but only fill out the form for eBook #2--yet they end up on the list for filling out eBook #1 and #2 because I'm not using the constraint on the form.

The reason I'm not using the constraint is because we're using our own landing pages, not Marketo landing pages, and we've found that the constraint doesn't work on them.

Has anyone experienced this same issue? And if you're using your own landing pages, how do you get around this so that your Smart List is pulling accurate info?

10 REPLIES 10
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Smart List issue with triggers and filters (I don't use Marketo landing pages)

HI Liz,

Have you tried the "referrer" constraint instead of the "web page" constraint?

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Greg,

Neither referrer nor web page page work as a restraint, unfortunately.

Liz

Roxann_McGlump1
Community Manager

Hello Liz,

What error are you getting when you try to use the Referrer constraint?  Do you have a screenshot of the trigger you are trying to build?

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's no error page; however, it reports there are no leads when there really are.

Roxann_McGlump1
Community Manager

Hi Liz,

Do you have a screenshot of the trigger, and a screenshot of the form fillout activity details for a lead that should qualify?

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

This can get VERY tricky. My suggestion is that you chop off the http:// part of the address, possibly keeping only the unique page name and use a CONTAINS on the Referrer.  Sometimes it will not pick up the HTTP. 

Robb Barrett
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Your best bet is to go to the Activity Log for a lead and click on the Fills Out Form action. From there, look for the Referrer information and try to use what you see there. But even then, chop of http and use "contains" which is much more forgiving.

Robb Barrett
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Marketo is finicky with the http's, but removing that still doesn't make a difference when referrer is set as the constraint.

You can still see the actions that a leads took but examining their Activity Log, but we need to be able to track all of this from the campaign level.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

The suggestion was to look at the Activity Log so you can see how Marketo is recording the referrer name and put that in the constraint

Robb Barrett