Sample Email and Segmentation

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sample Email and Segmentation

Why can't I send a sample email when I am using segments?

I am putting the "Lead" info, addresses are whitelisted, and I am still not receiving the email. I duplicated the email, removed segments and tested a sample send... It worked like a charm!

14 REPLIES 14
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Sample Email and Segmentation

are you sure the lead you're choosing is within the segment that you've chosen?

Anonymous
Not applicable

JD Nelson​ I am more sure.. I pulled three different leads from the lists of three defined segments used!

Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Hi Hussam

I tried sending myself a sample email (both in draft and approved modes) that has segments in it, and I was able to send it. Try sending it going inside lead database. Select the lead you want to send that email to and choose email.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just tried that too with no luck. The lead I used (test one) was in the default segment.

I have lead tokens used:

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 9.20.10 AM.png

That's the only place I am using tokens.

What am I missing?!

JD_Nelson

I wonder if it's not resolving because the default values in the From Email & Reply-To email.  Try defaulting those to an actual email address instead of edit me; where the initial lead owner should work, it may not like that the default wouldn't.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just tried to remove all variables (merge fields) from the email and kept all text static across all segments.

If I send a sample without a Lead assigned, I get the default email, which is cool. But, if I assign a Lead, the sample email does not get delivered. This is baffling me.

I won't risk using segmentation if I can't test it first.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you follow JD's idea? I think putting a default address (the Marketo admin?) in the default field - currently shown as "Edit Me" - should be your first step.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did. I used a static email address instead.

JD_Nelson

hopefully one of the first things you checked - but even though the lead meets the segment criteria, does it have a lead owner with first/last/email?