SOLVED

Re: Removal of "Is Anonymous" filters.

Go to solution
Alex_Stanton1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

I use the "Is Anonymous" filter on a regular basis and it helps discovering patterns, inferred data, etc. Is there a technical reason why the filter is being discontinued and would you reconsider?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'd assume the technical reason is that it saves a huuuge amount of resources.  All other things being equal (which they're not!) if I could shed 90%+ of processing load on the front end, at the expense of a little batch catchup for those leads who become known later, I would!

But, like you guys, I'm concerned that many people are going to be left hanging by this move.  I have a couple of clients who habitually update anonymous leads using flows and then read out the data later.  At least in those cases there may be another technical approach because the data isn't actually needed until the lead becomes known.  In other cases, like Courtney said, the client is trying to do more with anonymous records before they become known, not less.

To be hopeful about it, we could say Munchkin shouldn't have been able to do any of this stuff before -- that leads weren't supposed to be "born" until they were associated and that we now have to find new practices that do everything we were trying to do.  Shall we brainstorm?

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Sanford,

You're right, the technical reason is that it will save large amounts of resources. Going from 2 million web visits to 100 million web visits per day is an enormous improvement and it wouldn't be possible without these upgrades.On the back end, the web activity gets stored differently and doesn't create lead records (one of the largest resource-heavy activities). Without lead records being created for every web visitor, those resources can be allocated elsewhere.

It's important to note also that your smart campaigns will still run on these leads once they become known. Score change, Interesting Moments, Change Data Value, Add to List and Remove from List flow steps will all be processed at the time the lead becomes known.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Mike Reynolds,

Does that mean that the superb graph on the lead database entry page will disappear, since anonymous will not be stored as leads in the DB:

pastedImage_0.png

-Greg

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Yes, the pie chart showing known and anonymous leads will be upgraded to a dashboard that gives more useful details like the number of Marketable Contacts and the Top Lead Sources for your leads.

This is NOT a definite final version, so keep that in mind, but the new version will look something like this:

Lead Database.png

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Glad to see a facelift to this prime piece of real-estate!  Will this be user-customizable depending on what we consider most important?

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Dan,

The existing/older version wasn't customizeable so I don't believe this new version will be customizeable either.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Mike Reynolds​,

You will have to provide a definition of "Marketable contacts" as I am quite sure that each Marketer has his own definition .

An maybe "Marketable Leads" would be better in Marketo context.

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I know - but there also been talk about enhancing these large chunks of space - especially the "My Marketo" page - with the ability to do some sort of customization.  I just thought, and was hoping, this was part of that effort.  I don't want to derail the main topic of this thread here, so we can leave this be.

Edward_Masson
Level 10

Mike Reynolds​ loving the 'potential' graphic!