SOLVED

Redirect Root Branding Domain

Go to solution
mboz
Level 1

Redirect Root Branding Domain

I have email branding domain "info.company.com" used for email links e.g. https://info.example.com/document.pdf  which works fine. However, when visiting the root path https://info.example.com/,  the user is presented an error message: 

404 Not Found

The redirect url is empty

How would I go about adding a redirect for root path? I don't see any options under Email -> Branding Domains -> "Edit"

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Redirect Root Branding Domain

There isn't a fallback for the branding domain.

But the branding domain doesn't directly link to assets like PDFs. It's used for the rewritten links that appear in emails.

Those links then redirect to the original URL (at your LP domain or at any other domain). Only Marketo can create those rewritten links, and they don't contain the original asset name as in your example.

There wouldn't be any situation where someone would be navigating deliberately to the root of the branding domain, since it would never be advertised or search-indexed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

There isn't a fallback for the branding domain.

But the branding domain doesn't directly link to assets like PDFs. It's used for the rewritten links that appear in emails.

Those links then redirect to the original URL (at your LP domain or at any other domain). Only Marketo can create those rewritten links, and they don't contain the original asset name as in your example.

There wouldn't be any situation where someone would be navigating deliberately to the root of the branding domain, since it would never be advertised or search-indexed.

mboz
Level 1

Thanks for the explanation. You're right about my example being incorrect in terms of uri/filename, however regardless of whether the root domain is indexed or advertised, I feel that a 404 error message about a missing redirect shouldn't be the default behavior.

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 10.53.45 AM.png

SanfordWhiteman

I don't know, it's a clear sign of an error in that the resource does not exist. HTTP 404 has a meaning — redirecting silently obscures that meaning.