SOLVED

Re: Need help setting up my smart list correct for nurture stream

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help setting up my smart list correct for nurture stream

Hi,

I have an engagement stream with three pieces of email assets. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.23.41 AM.png

- Deployed once lead gen form is completed - Deploy 4 weeks after email 1a is opened - Deploy 1 month after email 2b is opened
- If Email 2a is not opened redeploy 2 weeks later and follow the same cycle - If Email 2b is not opened redeploy 2 weeks later and follow the same cycle - If 2c is not opened redeploy 2 weeks later 
- If Email 2a is not opened after 2nd attempt do not send again - If Email 2b is not opened after 2nd attempt do not send again - If 2c is not opened after 2nd attempt do not send again

How do I set up my smart list to achieve this: - If Email 2a is not opened redeploy 2 weeks later and follow the same cycle

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.25.15 AM.png

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I would suggest doing this with nested programs rather than nested emails.

What you need to do is....keep the first three streams you have, but instead of having them as email casts, make them nested programs. Each program will have one email (the relevant one for that program), and two smart campaigns:

1. The smart campaign that is triggered when the cast occurs. This will simply have the filter "member of engagement program is true". Flow step is send email.

2. The smart campaign that makes a person eligible again after no open. The filters here will be "was sent email more than two weeks ago", "not was sent email two times", and "not has opened email". (I would also suggest including "not has clicked email" since many people have image blockers which blocks the open, but they engage with a click). Flow step is "change program status of this nested program to be not member of program". Set it to run daily.

So what is happening here? Well, they will get the first deployment as normal. Marketo will then automatically change their status in that nested program to be "member." This in turn ensures that no one gets the same email twice. So when someone receives that email, but has never opened or clicked it, we flick their status back to "not in program". This will make them again eligible for the send, and they will receive that same email on the next cast. The "not was sent email two times" ensures that they will only be flicked back to eligibility ONCE. After they have received the email twice, they won't be flicked back again.

Make sense?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I would suggest doing this with nested programs rather than nested emails.

What you need to do is....keep the first three streams you have, but instead of having them as email casts, make them nested programs. Each program will have one email (the relevant one for that program), and two smart campaigns:

1. The smart campaign that is triggered when the cast occurs. This will simply have the filter "member of engagement program is true". Flow step is send email.

2. The smart campaign that makes a person eligible again after no open. The filters here will be "was sent email more than two weeks ago", "not was sent email two times", and "not has opened email". (I would also suggest including "not has clicked email" since many people have image blockers which blocks the open, but they engage with a click). Flow step is "change program status of this nested program to be not member of program". Set it to run daily.

So what is happening here? Well, they will get the first deployment as normal. Marketo will then automatically change their status in that nested program to be "member." This in turn ensures that no one gets the same email twice. So when someone receives that email, but has never opened or clicked it, we flick their status back to "not in program". This will make them again eligible for the send, and they will receive that same email on the next cast. The "not was sent email two times" ensures that they will only be flicked back to eligibility ONCE. After they have received the email twice, they won't be flicked back again.

Make sense?