Need help on Cart Abondonment Campaign building

neelambakre
Level 3

Need help on Cart Abondonment Campaign building

Hi All ,

We are seeking help in building the Cart abandonment usecase in marketo. Does anyone have any experience setting this up? I couldn't find any documentation on it.

Let me brief you the usecase logic. Data will be sourced from Adobe Analytics and flow into Marketo on real time basis. Based on this data we need to send out the 3 rounds of communication. 1st email will be triggered if the products is waiting in the cart for more than 5hrs. 2nd email will be sent out 24hrs after 1st communication and 3rd will be dispatched 48hrs after 2nd communication. If a consumer makes a purchase or empties their cart prior to the second or third communication, they should not be contacted in subsequent rounds.

Do we need to create a Nurture program for this purpose? If so, what needs to be followed?

Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Neelam

Neelam Bakre
9 REPLIES 9
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Need help on Cart Abondonment Campaign building

You definitely don't need an engagement program for this. I'd recommend using Default Program + trigger smart campaigns for this. Basically, have three email send steps with proper wait steps in the campaign. Additionally, have a campaign that'd remove people from the send abandoned cart email campaign when they make a purchase/empty their cart. You'd need to figure out to trigger the campaign that will remove people from the flow of the former, i.e., send abandoned cart email campaign. I suppose you're using Marketo custom object for storing the Abandoned Cart data, right? If so, upon a user purchasing the product / emptying their cart, are you in any way updating the custom object record in Marketo that would have triggered the Abandoned Cart email send campaign in the first place?

neelambakre
Level 3

Hi @Darshil_Shah1 ,

Thanks for the response.

We are not using any Custom object to store cart abondonment data. Instead, we synchronize the audience from Experience Cloud and intend to store it in a list. This list will then be utilized for campaign purpose.

Regards,

Neelam

Neelam Bakre
Darshil_Shah1

Gotcha! So do you update people in the Abandoned cart list when they make a purchase/empty their cart?

neelambakre
Level 3

We have yet to commence work on developing this use case since we currently lack a clear understanding of how to build it. At a current stage we have only synched the data into marketo.

Could you please provide me the step by step guidance for development of this use case?

Thanks.

Neelam Bakre
Darshil_Shah1

Well, there are multiple ways to tackle the case when a person is already in the abandoned cart static list:

• Request the campaign via API that'd remove them from the send abandoned emails campaign's flow. Remember, if you go via this route, you'd need to have the campaign's SL have the "Campaign is Requested" source is "Web Service API".

Darshil_Shah1_0-1686142727442.png

• Update a field on the person record and have a campaign listen for that field value update, and in the flow, remove the person from the send abandoned emails campaign's flow.
  • Remove the person from the Abandoned cart static list via API, and have a campaign that listens for this activity, and in the flow of this campaign, remove the person from the send abandoned emails campaign's flow.

What is the content of your abandoned cart email? Since you aren't using CO, I don't suppose you're showing the products they have in their cart, but if you're including product count/details, etc. in the email. There's one more use case that you should probably consider as well- i.e., what if someone updates their cart, i.e., not emptying/making a purchase? If you include product details in your email, you'd have to manage this use-case separately as well so the email always reflects the accurate cart information.

neelambakre
Level 3

Within the email content, there will be customer name personalization along with the product names that are currently in the cart.

Neelam Bakre
Darshil_Shah1

How are you planning to store product names in the Marketo? We normally use custom objects for this, but some users prefer custom lead fields too. Despite the way you store the Abandoned cart data in Marketo, you should definitely consider the flow and expected behavior when a person updates their cart while in the Abandoned cart flow (i.e., people yet to receive all the abandoned cart emails from the previous flow). Ideally, you should first remove them from the flow, and then re-add (this would be 100% required if you were using custom object trigger tokens in your emails).

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@neelambakre you say you already have the cart data in Marketo, but you haven’t described how it’s stored. It’s not possible for Darshil or me to give advice without more detail from you.

What does that product data actually look like in Marketo? Be very specific, with real data and explain the type(s) of field you’re using.

Darshil_Shah1

Agreed! Can't give a to the point answer w/o knowing complete details of how and where the data is stored. Thank you, Sandy!