SOLVED

Re: Multiple types of unsubscribe based on email content

Go to solution
Gina_Powers
Level 2

Multiple types of unsubscribe based on email content

Our legal department will soon require that we have multiple types of unsubscribes based on the content inside the email or by brand.

For example, if I send an email about a "specific event" we sponsor, we need to provide the option to unsubscribe from that "specific-event" type of emails. We also need to keep the ability to unsubscribe from all. Or maybe we need to allow the recipient to unsubscribe from our consumer brand, but not from our business brand.

Is there currently a way to do this within Marketo Unsubscribe functionality? We could manually add it in the footer of each email. However, to use with the “Send Marketo email” functionality within SFDC, our legal  department requires that the unsubscribe not be editable by the sales. If not available in Marketo, is there a way to code the email so that it is not editable within SFDC? Our experience is that removing the "mktEditable" codes from the email, doesn't prevent it from being edited it in SFDC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Hi Gina,

As Stijn said, what you're getting at is building a subscription center. A great step-by-step guide can be found at https://nation.marketo.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/38-2357/Marketo-Subscription-Center-BMUG.pdf

This will also address the SFDC editing capabilities because while it won't prevent someone from editing the emails, it will remove the need for them to edit the emails.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Stijn_Heijthuij
Level 7

Hi Gina,

The first part of your question is about email preferences and subscriptions. You can create smart lists based on database fields for subscriptions. If you build a campaign template you can have it only go to people on the Weekly Newsletter smart list. If someone unticks the box for the Weekly Newsletter they'll be removed from the Smart List.

The second part is a little more tricky since I don't have that much knowledge about Salesforce. From what I've seen someone in sales will always be able to edit the email. What you could try is to have your unsubscribe links in either an email snippet (so it references an external piece of code) or a stored in a token value. This way the can't remove the unsubscribe link, although they could remove the token.

Hope this helps.

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Hi Gina,

As Stijn said, what you're getting at is building a subscription center. A great step-by-step guide can be found at https://nation.marketo.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/38-2357/Marketo-Subscription-Center-BMUG.pdf

This will also address the SFDC editing capabilities because while it won't prevent someone from editing the emails, it will remove the need for them to edit the emails.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When creating new custom field, I don't see the checkbox option. How do I find this?

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Danielle,

It would be the Boolean field type you would create.  Then you set the field as a checkbox entry type when you place it on your form.

John