Marketo Form: Uncheck other boxes when a certain checkbox gets checked

John_Danielson1
Level 3

Marketo Form: Uncheck other boxes when a certain checkbox gets checked

I apologize for the crazy title. I wasn't really sure how to word this question!

We are creating a preference center right now. There will be four email types to select from as well as a global unsubscribe option. All of these fields will appear as checkboxes. I am trying to figure out a way to make the four options automatically uncheck if someone checks off the global unsubscribe option. I know I can create a visibility rule to hide those fields if the global unsubscribe is checked, but that doesn't uncheck those options. Is there a way to do this without having to use javascript?

JD

17 REPLIES 17
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Marketo Form: Uncheck other boxes when a certain checkbox gets checked

Search the Community. I put up a demo of this within the past 30 days. But no, you can't do it without JS.

John_Danielson1
Level 3

Hey Sanford - I searched the community, but I wasn't able to find your demo. Would you be able to paste the link in a reply?

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Vote for this:

Robb Barrett
John_Danielson1
Level 3

Thanks Robb - I can't believe the only way to currently do this is with JS. Hopefully your idea will get someone's attention at Marketo.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

In the meantime, you can process this request within a smart campaign, rather than at the form level.  So if someone selects "unsubscribe from all", your smart campaign would set the values of the other checkboxes to false.  From a user experience perspective, this isn't ideal (since the other checkboxes will still be checked) - but at least their preferences will be properly reflected in Marketo.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Nice suggestion but obviously this doesn't give the visual feedback that they are performing a global action. Similarly, they may not pay attention and just go down the list checking numerous items.

The other way to do it would be to put in a separate set of radio buttons that would tie to visibility rules. Still not ideal, but it's an option.

Robb Barrett
Dan_Stevens_

Agree - that's what I referred to by "user experience".  I'm all for this idea.

John_Danielson1
Level 3

Hey Dan - I've already got that set up. One of my co-workers was actually able to figure out how to get this to work with JS, but it's presented a different problem. Instead of inserting the custom form onto a landing page, we inserted custom HTML with the JS script. The checkboxes now function as we want them to, but the pre-fill seems to not be working. When I visit that landing page, my email address isn't stored and the options I am subscribed to are not checked off.

Here's the HTML:

<script src="//app-sjo.marketo.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.min.js"></script>

<form id="mktoForm_1072"></form>

<script>MktoForms2.loadForm("//app-sjo.marketo.com", "391-FAD-749", 1072);</script>

<script>

MktoForms2.whenReady(function(form){ 

var formEl=form.getFormElem()[0], 

unsubscribeField='unsubscribefromAllEmails', 

unsubscribeEl=formEl.querySelector('#'+unsubscribeField), 

checkboxEls=formEl.querySelectorAll('INPUT[type="checkbox"]'); 

unsubscribeEl.onclick = function(e){ 

Array.prototype.forEach.call(checkboxEls,function(itm){ 

if (itm !== unsubscribeEl && unsubscribeEl.checked) itm.checked = false; 

}); 

} 

}); 

</script>

Dan_Stevens_

Is the form embedded on a non-Marketo LP?  If so, pre-fill doesn't work (out-of-the-box) for embedded forms.