Re: How to redirect active non-Marketo landing pages to Marketo?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

How to redirect active non-Marketo landing pages to Marketo?

Prior to Marketo, we used (and continue to use) another marketing automation platform (until we're fully deployed on Marketo).  We are in the process of migrating everything over to Marketo.  There are still some active landing pages that will require us to redirect the URL to the ones we will create in Marketo.  It's using a different sub-domain/CNAME than what we have setup in Marketo. My thought was to have our IT team modify the DNS/CNAME for the other sub-domain so that it points to our Marketo environment (similar to how we have setup our sub-domain for our current landing pages  and use the redirect tool in the admin area to redirect any active URL to a Marketo landing page.  But when I modify the value in the field below to “forms.avanade.com”, it switches back to “pages.avanade.com” (this is our CNAME in Marketo) when I leave the field:

0EM50000000QrlP.jpg

How do we go about using this tool to support other sub-domains?
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you considered capturing the leads on the existing LPs of the other platform and then POST-ing them to marketo.  Relatively easy to do, but would require some changes to the pages that have forms.
Instructions are available here https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KyqgCAC

> My thought was to have our IT team modify the DNS/CNAME for the other sub-domain 

Some service providers like (enom) provide a URL redirect 
http://www.enom.com/help/faq_hostrecords.aspx, which can be used to redirect existing traffic to a new URL.  You'd have to create a generic LP on marketo which serves as the LP for all your existing ones on the other domain.

Josh_Hill13

IT needs to setup 301 redirects from the OLD pages to your NEW Marketo pages.

Alternatively they can do this for the entire OLD subdomain.

You cannot use Marketo's redirect rules engine to do this for non marketo pages.

Dan_Stevens_

We will be shutting down the existing service very soon - so capturing the leads on the other platform is not an option. I wanted to avoid setting up redirects for EVERY page and was hoping to do this at the sub-domain level.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There isn't a way to have Marketo set up a re-direct from non-marketo to marketo pages. Is there a way you can just swap URL's for those landing pages you're trying to save?
Dan_Stevens_

Actually, there is a way to do this in Marketo. To create another sub-domain (in addition to the landing page CNAME) navigate to Admin > Landing Pages > New > New Domain Alias > then type your desired Domain Alias and Default Page. Once that's setup, we will instruct our IT team to setup a CNAME for the new sub-domain using the same info as our existing landing page CNAME. Now, that new sub-domain is available from the "Original URL" drop-down and I can proceed to redirect at the page level, all from within Marketo.
Nick_Dreilling
Level 1

Dan, do you know how long it takes for it to start working? I know sometimes it take a bit for it to be recognized on the web.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Unless your DNS CNAME entry had an abnormally long TTL (cache expiry) a DNS change would be felt worldwide in under 48 hours. Wherever the entry is not cached, it always takes effect immediately.

What's the CNAME?

Dan_Stevens_

I would give it 24 hours to propagate.