Re: How do you track # of clicks to an external link on a Marketo Landing Page?

Ashley_Henders1
Level 1

How do you track # of clicks to an external link on a Marketo Landing Page?

I have a Marketo landing page that I'm wanting to track the number of clicks to an "Open Now" button that links to a non-Marketo landing page.  I have tried creating a smart list with the filter "Clicked Link on Web Page" with Link Name is "external link goes here" with the Web Page is "Marketo Landing Page goes here." This method is yielding zero results - even after I test it myself by visiting the page and clicking the link.

I have also tried creating a Web Page Activity report but I can only use the clicked link on web page filter in the smart list if I have the settings set to known leads.  I want to track the total number of clicks to this external link for both known and unknown users.  Any advice here would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

What you should first do is look at the Activity Log entry for a lead (like you) that you know performed the action. That will confirm exactly how Munchkin logged the parameters of the Clicked Link, which should then be used to build the trigger.

Ashley_Henders1
Level 1

Thank you for the reply. I looked at the activity log for my lead record and it doesn't show that I visited the web page or clicked a link today.  The web page is a Marketo page so that action should at least be showing up under lead activity, correct?  I also confirmed that the munchkin code was put on the external web page that the external link is linking to.  Any ideas on what I should do from here?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I also confirmed that the munchkin code was put on the external web page that the external link is linking to.

You don't even need Munchkin on the remote site to track the exit link as a Click Link.

Any ideas on what I should do from here?

Make sure you have an associated web session (i.e. fill out a form). Munchkin has to be logging Visit Web Page events as a baseline, otherwise there's no reason to look further for Click Link.

You can link to your URL so I can tell you whether there's something strange in the Munchkin setup.