SOLVED

Re: How can I update the "Black Listed Cause" field?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I update the "Black Listed Cause" field?

I would like to be able to update the Cause field for blacklisting, but it isn't available in the Change Data Value flow item.

0EM50000000QYaV.jpg
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh, Unfortunately you didn't read my question correctly. I'm asking about the "Black Listed Cause" field. Which isn't listed. 

For others: I've used a workaround and created a Marketo-only field and update it in the same flow as my black list. Same with Marketing Suspension Cause.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

it should be. Type in "black"

Change Data Value "Black Listed" to TRUE

I only do this for competitors and other baddies.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh, Unfortunately you didn't read my question correctly. I'm asking about the "Black Listed Cause" field. Which isn't listed. 

For others: I've used a workaround and created a Marketo-only field and update it in the same flow as my black list. Same with Marketing Suspension Cause.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

That is a system field and cannot be updated. But you knew that already 😉
Brittany_Striew
Level 2

@Josh_Hill13 - 

Wondering if you may have any answer on this. Do you know how the the Black Listed Cause system field is updated? I've searched all over throughout the Community and just straight Googling and cannot find anything. I don't seem to have a single person in my instance where Black Listed = true and Black Listed Cause is populated.

Any insight is appreciated!

Brittany

Carly
Level 1

Hi @Brittany_Striew, I got an answer from Marketo support today as when Block Listed Cause is populated. It's a little long but I didn't want to remove the context leading up to the answer in the last paragraph: 

"We manage our network to provide our customers with the highest server availability and best deliverability possible.  Marketo Engage has a strong anti-spam policy and a team that handles blocklist notifications in our IP space and spam complaints.  We also cooperate with most major anti-spam providers and ISPs.  In addition, we maintain feedback loops for many of the most popular email providers.   

Blocklistings are usually caused by sending mail to a spam trap email address.  When we receive notification of a blocklisting, we react in two ways.  First, we go through the procedures to remove the listing from that blocklist as soon as possible.  Second, we determine (if possible) which of our customers caused the blocklisting and work with them to improve their mailing lists to prevent a reoccurrence in the future.  This is usually a cooperative process, most frequently, a review of mailing policies and strategic pruning of a customer’s lead database will return them to best practices." [Reference]: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/knowledgebase/how-does-marketo-respond-to-blocklisting-and-spam-notifi...

To Summarize the overly-wordy answer, as provided in the aforementioned documentation (URL Link Above): -- If Block Listed, Marketo's Security Team would reach out to you in an attempt to come to a mutual understanding, and get you back into following Best-Practices, to increase your chances of being removed from a Block List. -- If communication between Marketo's Security Team and the offending Account cannot be concluded, this is how / why / when Marketo would update the "Block Listed Cause" Value Field. (At least, until the offending User was removed from a Block List)."