SOLVED

Re: Google Tag Manager and Munchkin Code question

Go to solution
Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Sanford

The following template has Munchkin DISABLED, the Munchkin Code is being pulled in soley through Google Tag Manager.

http://pages.r2integrated.com/TEST_TEST_munchkin.html

Now, I checked the page source and could not locate any instances to the munchkin code, only the Google Tag code. Thoughts?
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

And when I scrape the page, I see this.  Your Munchkin code.

Look, I'm not trying to get into a contest.  The reality is that the unwanted hits would have to be discarded by Marketo's servers, which means in turn there needs to be a UI to enter all your domains.  I agree this feature should be added, but at the same time I'm not shocked that there was no filtering before, because I know there was no place to enter the filter.
Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Thanks for the input Sanford, not sure how you found that code, but then again I'm not as technical as you are. Though, I think we can both agree, that using GTM makes it a little bit harder to take the code - but there's no doubt in my mind that a motivated individual could definitely find it if they wanted too.

Hope Marketo fixes/addresses this one day 😉

EDIT: Also, just to be clear, I do realize the munchkin code is being deployed on our main page - I was only using the LP as an example - but if you were able to find the munchkin code in the Landing Page that I posted, then yes, pretty cool.
SanfordWhiteman

@Malik Z I found the code by checking Web Inspector in Chrome (EDIT: yes, on your special test page) -- and you'll see it if you Save the page as well.  

When you save a page, you get the full markup as it looked when you hit Save, rather than the static markup that first comes from the server.  To be honest it wasn't any harder.  I don't think a dedicated copycat is using View Source, they're saving the page, maybe via a special spidering tool instead of a browser.

I think we are ultimately on the same side here.  The feature should exist.  It's just that I am less surprised than you and @Michael R, since I know that Marketo's ease-of-use (such as it is!) is aided by not mandating that users add filters.
Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Sanford also - if you could take that photo down when you get a chance, would be appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: Ah, I found it - well then, guess it doesn't matter if you take that picture down or not.

Thanks for all your input, definitely nice to learn something new.

Accidentally clicked "best answer", I didn't know it would mark the case as solved. For the record, case is not solved.
SanfordWhiteman

@Malik Z I'd recommend that you add something like JavaScript wrapper that I posted.   I'll point it out to our own web team as well.  Even better, wrap it in a function called something like reportStolenHTML(){}.  I think 99% of copycats would delete that entire section if they saw that.
Mikes_Jones
Level 8

I will pass that information on to our web team, again, thanks a bunch.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

After submitting a similar question to support and being told this isn't currently possible. I have added a suggestion to add a functionality that would allow us to A) run a report of all the websites our munchkin appears on and B) have some kind of way to clean up or stop tracking from places where the use is unauthorized. 

Please vote it up so we can get this added to the roadmap.

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Thanks Jana Lass​ for adding the suggestion - I will definitely upvote it and hope it gains from traction, would definitely help with reliable data!

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have any other members of your team with Marketo access that could help vote it up, feel free to pass it around. I am trying to get it up voted as quickly as possible as this has been a huge issue for us as well.