SOLVED

Re: Google Tag Manager a Marketo guided landing page & Google Ad Tracking

Go to solution
Eric_Salamon1
Level 6

Google Tag Manager a Marketo guided landing page & Google Ad Tracking

Here is the challenge we have the GTM script installed on our templates and the header tags implemented:

In the header:

<script>(function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start':
new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],
j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src='https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f);
})(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-TDLFLCN');</script>

In the body:

<noscript><iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-TDLFLCN"
height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden"></iframe></noscript>

After putting this script in we set up Google ads and set the conversion for the landing pages. The challenge is we can't see the conversions firing in google ads. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you work around it (fix it)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The Marketo Forms API exists for named forms (on a Guided or Free-Form LP) just as it does for form embeds. It's not an embed-only feature.

Place your forms behaviors <script> just before the closing </body> tag.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman

If you're simply loading GTM to catch the main document pageview, a Marketo LP operates the same as any webpage. Nothing special is going on.

Eric_Salamon1
Level 6

Not quite we are trying to track the form conversions based on the Google ads.  Also based on Google Ads conversion tracking a number of the tags are "Inactive" so we aren't seeing conversions. 

Based on tag manager everything seems to be firing, but we aren't seeing the conversions. We are also seeing this issue with LinkedIn

I am looking into how others work around this type of issue and get the conversions to fire correctly.

SanfordWhiteman

OK, if you want to fire based on form conversion, you'll have to integrate properly with the Marketo Forms API (you need to only send the event after a successful form post).

Search the nation for "eventCallback" and you'll see discussions on this topic.

Eric_Salamon1
Level 6

Thanks! --- I looked at it, but the scripting seems to show a Marketo form embed on a regular page and pushing the data to the data layer, how ever I am using a guided landing page, so no script is being embedded for the form I am only using the form tag. How would one work around that? Do we need to hard embed the form just so we can track the fills?

SanfordWhiteman

The Marketo Forms API exists for named forms (on a Guided or Free-Form LP) just as it does for form embeds. It's not an embed-only feature.

Place your forms behaviors <script> just before the closing </body> tag.

Eric_Salamon1
Level 6

Cool I will give this a shot.

Bryan_Russell
Level 1

I have a question about these two pieces of code in a landing page template. Twice now we have had the code removed from the template and we do not know what is causing this. As far as we know only this one template is affected. Anyone else ever heard of this happening?

SanfordWhiteman

Hard-coded scripts in the template certainly should not be removed. Never seen that. How are you actually determining that they aren't in the HTML?