SOLVED

Re: Duplicates - Filtering the correct contact to email

Go to solution
Benjinc
Level 2

Duplicates - Filtering the correct contact to email

We're a new Marketo user having recently migrated from a competing tool. Our Marketo database, due to upstream systems feeding into Salesforce by design, has many duplicates, many many duplicates😭.

Ultimately this needs to be fixed and its something we're pushing for, its not going to happen anytime soon though!

My issue

Our audience has two distinct segments  - Clients and Brokers. There are email addresses duplicated across these two audiences.

When setting up campaigns we need to ensure we do not email duplicates both the Client and Broker version of Comms. Where duplicates exist, we need to prioritize the Broker version of the contact.

Currently I have been managing this by downloading the email addresses in my Broker Smart List and manually adding them as an (many) email filters on my Client Smart List. While this works, its manual and due to our volumes not sustainable on an ongoing basis.

Is there any way to create and maintain a list of email addresses that we can use as a filter that grabs each and every contact with that email address, as opposed to just the single contact based on Marketo's rules.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

9 REPLIES 9
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Do you have the information that a person is a broker in a field? If so, I don't see a huge problem, actually.

Person Email Address Profession
PersonA person@example.com

Broker

PersonB person@example.com Client

If you set up a Smart List saying: Give me all people where Profession is Broker, PersonB will not be in the results.

If you though set up a Smart List which says Email Address = person@example.com, both persons with be in the results and email sends will be difficult to control.

So if you can, go with the first Smart List option, and you should be fine.

SanfordWhiteman

Agree w/Michael, there’s nothing too sophisticated here if you add a filter, but you can’t magically prioritize one of the duplicates.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

That was my first thought as well, but I think the issue is slightly more complicated than that. From what I read, the broker does need to be included if there is no client dupe, but if there are dupes the broker needs to be dropped.
As there is a system smart list that identifies possible dupes, I would probably set up a process to mark a broker that is part of the possible duplicates smart list as a "broker dupe" and of course also to remove the flag if the dupe is resolved. You can then add to your audience criteria that the flag would need to be false. The only situation where that causes issues if it's a broker vs broker dupe.

SanfordWhiteman

As there is a system smart list that identifies possible dupes, I would probably set up a process to mark a broker that is part of the possible duplicates smart list as a "broker dupe" and of course also to remove the flag if the dupe is resolved.

The Advanced Filters I’d suggest would include the Duplicate Fields filter, but I’m not following why you’d want to have a process w/a persistent field instead of querying dynamically?

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Not sure I envisage the filter combination that would give me the result "if it's a dupe, suppress the broker but not the client".

SanfordWhiteman

SanfordWhiteman_1-1660326239039.png

SanfordWhiteman_0-1660371710169.png

Benjinc
Level 2

Sorry for the v late reply here. I think I get the logic and will give it a go now!

Benjinc
Level 2

Sadly this doesnt actually solve my issue.

While I can isolate the duplicate contacts, ultimately, due to the fact I have duplicates across but crucially within the two groups I can't use it as a dynamic selector for my need, as I still need to email the contacts duped within the same group.

Whatever what you look at it I need to be able to block email addresses, not people, which Marketo does not seem to allow via the interface....

EDIT -

ACTUALLY!!!

Hang on, its still early, let me see if I have this right!  ....

Not in duplicates OR (Is in duplicates AND is a Broker) - This allows me to grab all Brokers who are duplicates and all Employers who are not...

Therefore, prioritising duplicated brokers over employers my mailing segments would be -

Brokers - All brokers

Employers - All Employers AND in -  Not in duplicates OR (Is in duplicates AND is a Broker)

Think that works!  Thank you!

SanfordWhiteman

Yep.