SOLVED

Re: Doing a survey in Marketo vs. Survey Monkey

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doing a survey in Marketo vs. Survey Monkey

I am convinced that because Marketo doesn't really offer a survey capability that doing a survey in Marketo is not the best choice. We already have Survey Monkey so I suggested to the boss that it would work better and give us the best result and best analysis. She still wants me to try and do it in Marketo. I say we do the email and follow up in Marketo with a link to the survey in Survey Monkey. We can analyze the open and click rate through Marketo but not the actual survey responses/

I started to put it together but ran into many obstacles. One being I would have to create a field for every question so I could design a fieldset with check marks for each question.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Robin

Director Of Market Strategy

Singles Travel International

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Amber_Hobson
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

So, we had Survey Monkey and we used to do it where we would send the email through Marketo with a link from Survey Monkey so that I could get my opens/clicks, but then I had to hope that the people responded with the email address that we sent the survey out to so that I could push data back into Marketo. We just recently purchased the integration between the two systems. While we're still working out the bugs on it, it's great that I can send out my survey using Marketo and the responses will have their lead ID so that I can figure out who they are! And then the responses are also activities on the lead record too that I can use for smart lists. If you need help selling it to your boss, just let me know and I can talk about how it has actually helped! It took us over 2 years to convince them that we needed this integration!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If you search the Community, you'll see this has been discussed many times.

What it boils down to is that surveys in Marketo are still forms.  I love tweaking Marketo Forms to do all kinds of crazy things, but in the end they are designed to populate fields on known leads.  We don't have the concept of fields "belonging" to a single form in the way that answers "belong" to a single take of a survey (even if the question is the same, the answer is given in the context of a particular survey).  And we don't have cross-sections and percentages by questions and answer value(s): you will be looking at results on the lead level unless you do an API export and pivot using Excel.  (I believe you can also use RCE, if you have that additional module, but you would need to be an advanced user.)

If your explicit plan w/the boss is to export the values, there are some tweaks you can do to forms themselves so you don't have to create individual fields for every question.  If you look in my past comments you can see a demo called something like "multi fields to single JSON block."  I showed there how to create fields only on the client side (in the browser) that the user could fill out, but all the answers are assembled in a single textarea field.  This can make things much easier to maintain on the Marketo side, but at the same time you will get less traditional use out of the field as it holds multiple values and Marketo's pattern matching is not really sophisticated enough to try to read individual values (the idea here is to read the individual values out in Excel or some other app).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Sanford. I did search but found nothing about surveys. I pretty much did not understand most of your response as I am a marketer and not a technical person, so this convinces me further that Marketo is not the way to go for a survey. We really don't need a consensus on what each lead feels as an individual, just an overall idea which way to go to create our new website. Thanks for your time.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Thank you Sanford. I did search but found nothing about surveys.

That's pretty weird: https://nation.marketo.com/search.jspa?q=survey%20monkey

Anyway, if you are looking only for overall trends and are not prepared to do extra slicing-and-dicing in Excel or elsewhere, you should not use Marketo forms for this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I did find them after I posted. I was just searching "Surveys"

Amber_Hobson

So, we had Survey Monkey and we used to do it where we would send the email through Marketo with a link from Survey Monkey so that I could get my opens/clicks, but then I had to hope that the people responded with the email address that we sent the survey out to so that I could push data back into Marketo. We just recently purchased the integration between the two systems. While we're still working out the bugs on it, it's great that I can send out my survey using Marketo and the responses will have their lead ID so that I can figure out who they are! And then the responses are also activities on the lead record too that I can use for smart lists. If you need help selling it to your boss, just let me know and I can talk about how it has actually helped! It took us over 2 years to convince them that we needed this integration!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Can you tell me how much that integration costs? OR how do I find out more?

Amber_Hobson

You can email Survey Monkey to get pricing details. And they have specific implementation people. From what I know, you have to have Enterprise license for Survey Monkey for the integration to work. Price of that will depend on how many users you have. And then the actual integration is about $5000 per year. I think we pay roughly $6000 a year for Survey Monkey now, but the integration is really nice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

WHOA. Crazy. Thank you so much for this information. I was looking through Marketo for the package. We may have to hold off on that for a while. The Marketo integration cost a pretty penny or two already this year.  But it makes perfect sense to use Survey Monkey to do a survey. They are best equipped to handle it.

Courtney_McAra4
Level 4

Hello All!

I work at SurveyMonkey and just posted a new Discussion- would love your thoughts on it if you can spare a few moments!

Survey Question! What do you ask in your Demand Gen surveys?