Re: CSV file list import into Marketo - Import Fail due to unclosed quotation - How do I fix?

Anonymous
Not applicable

CSV file list import into Marketo - Import Fail due to unclosed quotation - How do I fix?

Hi,

Can you please assist with a basic list import i'm trying to run.  For some reason I keep getting the error below ''Import Failed - Due to unclosed quotation.'' 

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks,

Marianne

17 REPLIES 17
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: CSV file list import into Marketo - Import Fail due to unclosed quotation - How do I fix?

Hi Marianne,

Is you file a CSV? Is it encoded in UTF8? Before generating it, have you removed all commas and " ?

-Greg

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

I would bet that one of your column names has a line break in it somewhere.  Try removing this and reimporting.

Rachel_Egan
Level 7

I was having this same problem, but this solved it! Thanks Kenny Elkington​!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gregoire & Kenny,

Yes it is a CSV file and I have imported lists into Marketo before without any issues.  I have  removed all the visible '' "  with the 'Ctrl F' function and have removed all line breaks but it still wont import. 

It is extremely bizarre.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Marianne,

Are you sure you do not have a comma in a text (quotation enclosed) field?

-Greg

Yoav_Guttman1
Level 4

were you able to resolve this? i am having the same issue

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Do you have any carriage returns/line breaks in any of your column headers?

Diana_Jakubaity
Level 4

The solution:

I was having exactly the same issue over and over again.

To remove the error and be able to upload the file, make sure that you don't have any ,commas, "quotation marks" or even /slashes/ within your cells in excel (any separator marks). If you do, just CTR+F and Replace all with no value.

I also remove all hidden formatting just in case. But removing separators always works for me now!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

But that's not an acceptable workaround, as those are totally valid values (for example, "Company Name, Inc." is the correct way to store that value).  Quotation marks are often used to indicate inches, as well as for nicknames.

All of these delimiters are supported if properly escaped; there's even an official internet standard for CSVs!  Using a dedicated CSV editor like Ron's Editor (one of my favorite apps) insread of Excel avoids all such issues.