SOLVED

Cleaning all UPPER CASE values

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleaning all UPPER CASE values

Is there a way we can target leads in the database that have spelled their names in all UPPER case or a mixture of upper and lower cases.
If there is a way to target these leads, is there also a way we can easily clean them?

I was looking at this article about Marketo's easy merge option and it seems like something can be done.
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KytBCAS
Can anyone help me understand this article a bit better?

Thanks
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cleaning all UPPER CASE values

Karen,

Easy merge is a paid service from Marketo.  Last time I heard it was $2500.00.  How many Fields and leads are you looking to update?  I personaly would export the leads and fields that you are looking to update to excel and use the function PROPER and then reimport them to Marketo.  It might take some time but this way you could save some money.  What that function does is capitalize the first letter in words.  See example below. 

First NameLast nameCommentFirst Name PROPERLast Name PROPERComment PROPER
ERICROSENBERGERIC IS AWESOMEEricRosenbergEric Is Awesome

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

A merge service like Marketo's or Ringlead can certainly help normalize data values.

There is no way to do this in Marketo out of the box.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Karen,

Easy merge is a paid service from Marketo.  Last time I heard it was $2500.00.  How many Fields and leads are you looking to update?  I personaly would export the leads and fields that you are looking to update to excel and use the function PROPER and then reimport them to Marketo.  It might take some time but this way you could save some money.  What that function does is capitalize the first letter in words.  See example below. 

First NameLast nameCommentFirst Name PROPERLast Name PROPERComment PROPER
ERICROSENBERGERIC IS AWESOMEEricRosenbergEric Is Awesome

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also thought of Eric's idea -- export, Excel, PROPER function on the names, reimport. 

I suppose it depends on your list size if this would be an issue. 

I think you could do in 30-45 minutes, and would be worth $2,5000 to me 🙂 

Another option: search in this thread (https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000Q13EAAS) for the answer about Regex Replace beta feature. You would need to get this enabled by support. But if you know a bit of Regex you could in theory run it on your whole list and convert any UPPER case names to Proper case right in Marketo. 

Test it in on a few names first to make sure. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be so great if it automatically happened 🙂
it does not happen often enough for us to justify spending 2,500 so i will continue to adjust manually and i might give the excel option a go.

Thanks for all the advise.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you used the reg ex feature you could easily make it into a trigger campaign that processed all leads as they are created and cleaned up the name case. Only watch out would be to add exclusions for people with two letter first names (JP, AJ, etc). Would need to be tested.
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Just to clarify: Marketo's EasyMerge records will merge records but it won't do any data cleanup beyond merges. 
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

One other option: using email scripting, you can change the case of a field within an outbound email. Though this won't change the value stored with the lead itself, you can make it friendlier than "Dear UPPER mclowerton...".

But as I noted in a similar thread a little while back, don't assume you are getting a lead's name "right" by blindly changing the case. You have to be culturally sensitive. Cultures take their nobiliary particles rightfully seriously, for example. I think a temporary, undo-able change like using email scripting is actually safest.  You could even have a field "do not change spelling" when you get secondary confirmation of spelling from an inbound email or other contact.