Can I update the triggers and filters in my 'blocked' smartlist?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I update the triggers and filters in my 'blocked' smartlist?

When creating a smart list, you get to see the total amount of people and the blocked people.

I would like to make an adjustment in my 'blocked smart list'.

We have two types of e-mail addresses in our system.
E-mail 1: business and e-mail 2: private.

In my blocked smart list I have:
Email address is empty.

Now I need to add e-mail address 2.

For example, I would like to send first an e-mail to e-mailaddress 1, and if that field is empty then I would like to send it to e-mailladdres 2.

Can I adjust the triggers in my blocked smart list?

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Can I update the triggers and filters in my 'blocked' smartlist?

Wouldn't call this just "updating the 'blocked' SL."  There's more to it than that. 

You could add a second filter on the 'blocked' simulator Smart List so that it includes only people who have empty values for both of the Email * fields. But that has no direct effect on which address receives emails. And it won't accurately reflect how the Smart Campaign counts whether someone is blocked.

Instead have a campaign running that populates the true Email Address field (the one used for mailing) with Email 1 if it is non-empty, otherwise Email 2. Then your 'blocked' list just needs to check the built-in Email Address.

But bear in mind that "non-empty" doesn't mean "emailable" (not at all!). So to really get the best of this, you want other conditions so that Email 2 is used if Email 1 is non-empty, but known bad. There are also opt-in concerns (if the same human owns 1 and 2, they should both be Unsubscribed). You need to think through a "secondary address" field more than you expect.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the insights! I will definitely reconsider my strategy.

What about this blocked list? I can't find anywhere an option to update this smart list.
Do you know if this is possible?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The "blocked" count isn't taken from a visible/user-manageable SL. You can create a SL to simulate the same criteria (to see who's in and who's out) but the system manages the actual exclusions.