Re: Block field update from a particular vendor vs a particular type

Nancy_Rosentha4
Level 2

Block field update from a particular vendor vs a particular type

Any ideas on how to handle blocking a field update from a particular vendor vs all API integrations?  We have a vendor for which we don't trust their data for job title, if we already have a job title.  Is it possible to just block this field for this particular vendor

Nancy Rosenthal
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Create a temporary field for job title and tell the vendor to write to that field

Create a smart campaign to update Job title from temporary field if job title is empty

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If the vendor could simply stop writing to the field, I'd think that would've been done already...

Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

This is also what I'd do. To clarify, what he means by "temporary" field is that you create a field called $VENDOR Job Title. Then you can run a batch smart campaign nightly 

Filter: (all)

1. $VENDOR Job Title is not empty

2. Job Title is empty

Flow Step:

Change Data Value, Job Title = {{my.$VENDOR Job Title}}

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Pretty sure this has been asked + answered before... no, it's not possible using direct connections to the Marketo API. If you can steer that vendor's calls through an API gateway however, it's certainly possible.

(An APIGW is a reverse proxy that allows for granular manipulation and mapping of requests, including blocking specific fields.)

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

You might already know this but you can set API roles which have access to do certain things, but not others.

But I'm guessing if you want access to write to some fields, but not others, that can't be done. It's as granular as the API endpoints, basically - so "read/write" on fields would give access to all fields (except those blocked by field updates, but then that is done for ALL API users unfortunately).

If you didn't want them to touch ANY fields then roles might be a solution though.