Tips for the New MCE (Marketo Certified Expert) Exam

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recently renewed my Marketo Certified Expert status with the latest iteration of the certification exam. It's quite a bit different from the previous versions, so I thought it would be helpful to provide a list of topics you should know:

• Understand how inherited tokens work
  • Review the A/B testing functionality in the email program, including the dashboard, and know the steps to setting up a subject line test
  • Understand what happens if you add a new piece of content into a stream of the engagement program when someone is exhausted content
  • Understand how to transition someone from one stream to another in an engagement program
  • Understand approaches to resetting the score of a lead
  • Understand operational emails versus promotional emails
  • Know the types of tokens and where each can be used
  • Know how custom columns work in a report
  • Know that you use a lead performance report to measure database growth over time
  • Know that you use a landing page performance report to measure form conversions
  • Know the difference between Marketo and an ESP
  • Know how Marketo handles soft bounces versus hard bounces
  • Know what the value of a text version of the email is
  • Know what marketing suspended is for
  • Know what a local asset is (in a program) versus a global asset (in Design Studio)
  • Know what data you need to have in order to track cost per success
  • Know what you can see on the engagement program dashboard
  • Know the basics of international spam laws
  • Know what the roles of the different stakeholders are during the scoring process (CEO, CRM, marketing, sales)
  • Know where in the form UI you go for progressive profiling
  • Understand what happens when you have multiple triggers in a smart campaign
  • Understand what happens when you have multiple choices in a flow step and a lead qualifies for more than one
  • Understand the connection between acquisition program and new names
  • Understand the ways someone gets automatically marked as acquired by a program
  • Understand that you cannot move backwards in a program status
  • Be able to select which program type to use for a live event hosted by the company
  • Know that you need to activate the content in an engagement program before you can launch it
  • Know the consequences of removing leads from an engagement program after they already participated
  • Know the functionality that the webinar integration gives you at each step of the process (invite, register, attend, no show, attend on demand)
  • Understand that triggers are how you respond in real-time to someone
  • Know how to set up a data management campaign to standardize country
  • Understand whether you set up visibility rules on state or on country when you want to display state only if country is US/Australia
  • Understand what are things that Marketo would categorize as behavior scoring and what would be demographic
  • Know the difference between Send Alert and Send Email (who receives the email)
  • Know about the connection between snippets and segmentations
  • Know about the connection between segmentations and dynamic content
  • Know the differences between segmentations and smart lists
  • Know the ways you would alert sales to a new lead
  • Know what Munchkin code does
  • Know what communication limits are
  • Know about stored values for a picklist
  • Know about hidden fields
  • Know when you can use advanced thank you pages
  • Know about lightbox options for embed forms
  • Know how to edit the URL of a landing page
24 Comments
Erica_Harris2
Level 3

This was so helpful in preparing for the exam. Aced the test

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kristen can you suggest study material other than product docs?

Thanks for all your efforts and posting related questions for different topics.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think if you go through the product documentation related to the questions in my practice exams and the questions in this other post, you probably won't need any more support to pass the test. If that's not enough, I believe both Marketo and Marvel Marketers have some kind of prep class.

Narasimha_rao
Level 1

Nice post for MCE Practice.

Thanks

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job Kristen! Thanks for putting this together

Yasmin-Lee_Col1
Level 2

This is great, thanks Kristen! This will definitely help me go into the exam a little more prepared!

Carl_Delafonta2
Level 3

Thanks for the post! It helped me a lot with the MCE exam.

Michael_Oslin
Level 3

Hi,

Great summary as I'm preparing to take the MCE. However, I've been looking for more information on a couple of these and can't seem to get the answer:

• Know what the roles of the different stakeholders are during the scoring process (CEO, CRM, marketing, sales)
  • which types of assets can be used in an engagement program stream?
  • what types of content can be added to an engagement program?

The last two questions (bullets) I'm getting conflicting information so I was hoping for some clarification.

Thank you in advanced!