suppression1.png

Use Cases for Bizible Suppression Logic

Kate_Colbert
Marketo Employee
Marketo Employee

I was recently asked for some examples of what to use Bizible’s Touchpoint Suppression functionality for so below are the most common I see across Bizible users. Keep in mind though that Suppression is your tool to “clean up” your Bizible data so you might have scenarios that are completely unique to your company!

Example 1: Suppressing based on the email domain

Why?

It’s common for employees to fill out forms on your site, maybe to download a new whitepaper they want to read, and that’s totally fine but you probably don’t want a touchpoint for that.

Build Idea:  

suppression1.png

Note: In situations like this, it makes sense to suppress both the Lead and Contact value.

Example 2: Suppressing unsubscribe forms, password reset forms, career application forms, customer login forms

Why?

If the Bizible JavaScript is attached to a form, people filling out that form will result in a touchpoint. Most customers do not want touchpoints for things like the above where it’s just not the type of interaction we’re looking for when it comes to attribution reporting.

Build Idea:

suppression2.png

Note: Use the matches any operator when you want Bizible to look out for multiple values. The double asterisks creates “contains” logic. Your rule logic will also depend on your URL structure.

Example 3: Suppressing Bizible Attribution Touchpoints that happened a defined number of days before the Opportunity is Opened/Created

Why?

Sometimes customers want to set up a “look-back window” to basically say that if a touchpoint happened a certain number of days prior to the Opp being created, that it shouldn’t be eligible for attribution. Most clients align this to the length of their Sales cycle.

Build Idea:

suppression3.png

Pro Tips:

• Usually when you’re setting up suppression logic, you’ll want to do it for both the Bizible Touchpoint (BT) and the Bizible Attribution Touchpoint (BAT). Check out this resource for a refresher on the two objects.
  • Remember that Suppression gets rid of the Touchpoint in both CRM and Discover whereas Removal will only remove the Touchpoint in the CRM, it will still be reportable in Discover. Suppression is most commonly used and Removal is usually only used in situations where CRM storage is a concern.
14 Comments
jeffchao
Level 1

Hi Kate,

We are trying to suppress our BAT from CRM, and this article is very helpful. I'm curious about the last logic "Opportunity.CreateDate - Touchpoint.Date > 360". If we use the Account-based attribution model and apply this logic, and there is an account whose earliest FirstTouch is 4 years ago but it generated an opportunity this year. In that case, will Bizible find another FT for this opportunity? Maybe the one which hasn't been suppressed yet. If not, does that mean some Opportunities might not have FT and LC due to the suppression? Thank you.

Kate_Colbert
Marketo Employee

Hi Jeff! Good question. Your first idea is correct -- Bizible would not create a BAT for that touchpoint from 4 years ago in this scenario, it would instead look for the earliest touchpoint that does fit into the "look-back window" and that BAT would be stamped as the Opp's FT (potentially LC as well but just depends on the exact scenario). 

Let me know if this helps! 

-Kate

jeffchao
Level 1

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the detailed explaination. I did the setting and it looks fine.:)

-Jeff

Kate_Colbert
Marketo Employee

Awesome, glad to hear that!

Bonnie_Goldswor
Level 1

@Kate_Colbert  I'm trying to use example #3 and i'm having some difficulty with the logic. 

Currently, we suppress attribution from events if the opportunity is created 180 days or more AFTER the date of the event (which is also the touchpoint date). So, i built: 

Opportunity.CreatedDate - Touchpoint.Date (Days) is greater than 180 AND touchpoint.channel = hosted events (and another logic build for sponsored events). 

Yet, i'm still seeing events with touchpoint dates in 2019, and attribution tied to opportunities created in 2021. 

What did i do wrong?

Kate_Colbert
Marketo Employee

Hi Bonnie, 

Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately I don't think I can help you diagnose this specific scenario here because I would need access to your Bizible account and specific examples (Email addresses, Touchpoint IDs, etc) to assess how to potentially tweak the rule. 

If you are in Implementation still, I recommend asking your consultant! Or if you are past Implementation, I would reach out to Support with your above message and the specific examples 🙂

Bonnie_Goldswor
Level 1

Thanks Kate - but the suppression logic makes sense for this particular scenario, yes? If so, I can take up with my consultant. There's been some back and forth with the support teams - they don't believe you can institute rules that are based on time decays etc. I'll link to this blog, though, so maybe that will help!

Kate_Colbert
Marketo Employee

Hi Bonnie -- I haven't tried a combination suppression exactly like that before but it does sound like it should work. Though it's important to be aware that it would only suppress the touchpoint records when the channel is hosted or sponsored events that were created 180 days before the Opp was created -- not just any touchpoint that old.

jeffchao
Level 1

Hi Kate,

Thanks for presenting in "The A-Z of Bizible Attribution Model", the content is very helpful and I really enjoy it.

I have a question about suppressing BAT and hope you can give me some advice. I'm trying to reduce BAT storage in our SFDC. Right now, I already suppressed the "Closed-Lost" BAT, but the storage usage still too high. I'm thinking to suppress the BAT from opportunities whose stage is "Open" or "In progress".

My question is that if there is an opportunity whose stage change into "Closed-Won", does Bizible will consolidate related BAT into the opportunity?

Thanks,

Jeff

Ariel_Sasso
Level 4

This is fantastic, thank you for sharing!