Smart List Filter "Ends With"

Smart List Filter "Ends With"

I don't know why anyone created filters for "Starts with", but not "Ends Width". This is silly because a lot of typos commonly happen at the end and I could fix them if I could filter with "Ends With."

16 Comments
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Well, I said "not quickly."

Because it's a non-indexed query, unless there's an index on the lexicographic reverse of the value, so it would be inviting performance problems. See my Notes section at https://nation.marketo.com/community/product_and_support/blog/2018/11/05/a-hackity-hack-for-ends-wit....

Antonia_L
Level 1

Follow!
Adding "ends with" option could have multiple useful applications.
For example I would like to implement two different campaigns based on evens and odds booking numbers: with this option "ends with" available it comes easy by extracting the last number.
I cannot find other solutions to divide a group of numbers between odd and even if not using ends with...

SanfordWhiteman

An interesting use case, but unless your booking engine ensures absolutely no gaps within your population, that's not the same as round-robin. To do real round-robin you need a webhook.

Antonia_L
Level 1

Yes Sanford, I'm sure that my booking engine has no gaps, also because the list is daily updated and use by differents applications. That's why I need a solution that every day add the new booking in the campaigns.

Any example of round-robin solution? 

It cannot be random, I need to present a ratio behind my activity. I've think about use alphabet letters but it will be far from divide into equal parts.

SanfordWhiteman
Yes Sanford, I'm sure that my booking engine has no gaps, also because the list is daily updated and use by differents applications.

I'm talking about gaps in the integer series.

It's almost impossible in the real world to be sure this isn't happening, especially when a system is used by different applications.

When a database assigns auto-incrementing IDs (AUTOINCREMENT in some databases, SEQUENCE in others) the only guarantee is the numbers will be unique across a database table at any given point in time.  There's no guarantee at all that there's an equal number of odds and evens. Deleting a row and reinserting the same data gives you another number. It's possible to have a healthy table where every single value for the auto-incrementing ID is an odd number!

In sum, it would be a very curious environment -- and one which presumably was built for this express purpose, not accidental -- in which auto-incrementing IDs were always completely balanced between odds and evens, all the time.

In any case... the way to do actual round-robin in Marketo is via a webhook. You call the webhook-compatible service, it increments a shared counter, then returns you the result modulo <number of buckets>. This gives you an exact 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 distribution (if number of buckets is 3) or 1-2-1-2-1-2 (if number of buckets is 2).  We have webhooks set up like this in many instances.

kh-lschutte
Community Manager
Status changed to: Open Ideas