Make {{system.date}} spell out full month

Make {{system.date}} spell out full month

Hi, simple request: it looks more professional on emails to spell out the full name of the month instead of just a 3 character abbreviation. This especially looks bad in Jun, when it looks like we forgot to add an e. 

Can this token have the full month name?

Thanks in advance,

Robb

8 Comments
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

VTL:

${date.long_date}
Veronica_Holme4
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I would go further and ask that admins be allowed to set up a date format for date type fields in the admin and that format is perpetuated across Marketo. Anything Marketo does here will annoy people in different geographies where date formats differ.

SanfordWhiteman

It's sort of the opposite, though -- the locale format is person-specific, not instance-wide, as noted here:Localize Date Format in Token (Velocity)

Veronica_Holme4
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Oh I get that - I just think I shouldn't have to resort to scripting to get basic functionality. The chances of me teaching every team member and client to script well is zero.

SanfordWhiteman

But if you create a single reusable token, they don't have to learn VTL.

Caroline_Graha1
Level 1

Sanford Whiteman can you please elaborate on your answer? Trying to implement this but I don't know what VTL is. Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

VTL is Velocity Template Language: the language used to write Velocity/Email Script tokens, which is a Java dialect.

You can create a functioning Email Script token with just the one line of code above, although it will not be accurate to the timezone level unless you extend it a bit. See https://nation.marketo.com/message/191858-re-localize-date-format-in-token-velocity#comment-191858  and elsewhere.

kh-lschutte
Community Manager
Status changed to: Open Ideas