Cross Domain Munchkin Tracking

Cross Domain Munchkin Tracking

It would be great to be able to have Munchkin track web activity across domains. It turns out that one anonymous lead is abandoned and a new one is created when a lead moves from one domain to the next, even when they have the same munchkin code on them. 

Here are two use cases:

Your company creates a mini-site that generates traffic to your main website, where they convert. Cross domain tracking would provide insight into how they interacted on the minisite.

Your company has a .com and a .net / .org domain with content on those domains. 

29 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable
So. Is there any release planned in this area to automate the cross-domain linking?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope Engineering will answer that question.
Anonymous
Not applicable
As stated by Breno a while ago, what it would take to solve the issue is not to read a singkle cookie over multiple domains., since this would be a security breach and, additionnaly, it might be a breach of regulation in various countries.

What we would need here is the capacity to instantiate multiple domains in one marketo account and being able to :
  • Host a Marketo landing page in any of them (and in more than one, in which case a single landing page would have many URLs)
  • Send emails from any of them (ideally, this would be an option of the "send email" flow step).
  • Have email link tracking link hosted in any of them, which would be resolved when the email is sent.
Once this is available, a visitor could navigate to a second domain form an email and be fully recognized and tracked in this domain. Then marketo would deduplicate based on email address and the data and activity log would contain all informations form the primay domain and the secondary.

There is a partial workaround available, subject to testing : using the embeded forms. this at least would enable the form on secondary domain to read the cookie on that secondary domain and associate this cookie with the email address collected on the form. And of course, it would also require that the embbeded forms prepopulate 🙂

My 2 cents,
Greg
Anonymous
Not applicable
As stated by Breno a while ago, what it would take to solve the issue is not to read a singkle cookie over multiple domains., since this would be a security breach and, additionnaly, it might be a breach of regulation in various countries.

What we would need here is the capacity to instantiate multiple domains in one marketo account and being able to :
  • Host a Marketo landing page in any of them (and in more than one, in which case a single landing page would have many URLs)
  • Send emails from any of them (ideally, this would be an option of the "send email" flow step).
  • Have email link tracking link hosted in any of them, which would be resolved when the email is sent.
Once this is available, a visitor could navigate to a second domain form an email and be fully recognized and tracked in this domain. Then marketo would deduplicate based on email address and the data and activity log would contain all informations form the primay domain and the secondary.

There is a partial workaround available, subject to testing : using the embeded forms. this at least would enable the form on secondary domain to read the cookie on that secondary domain and associate this cookie with the email address collected on the form. And of course, it would also require that the embbeded forms prepopulate 🙂

My 2 cents,
Greg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gregoire - would your suggested solution solve the examples below?

In the examples below the company uses several domains. The domains in the examples are not primary domains in Marketo as the primary domain is used for other purposes.

Example 1:
A) An anonymous visitor surfs on domain www.aaa.com that has munchkin code on and gets cookied. www.aaa.com is not primary domain in the companys installation.
B) Visitor surfs to landingpage in Marketo pages.aaa.com. This trigger another anonymous record.
 From what I understand I can not get the records merged automatically today.

Example 2:
A) An anonymous visitor surfs to Marketo landingpage on domain pages.bbb.com.
B) Visitor surfs to www.bbb.com. This trigger another anonymous record. 
 From what I understand I can not get the records merged automatically today.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Pontus,

www.aaa.com and pages.aaa.com are in the same domain, but 2 subdomains. In otherwords, the same cookie applies to both.

So that everyone is on the same page :

in "www.mydomain.com" :
  • com is the top-level domain (as well as .fr or .es, ...)
  • mydomain.com is the domain, and mydomain.com is not the same domain as mydomain.fr, for instance
  • www.mydomain.com is one of the subdomains of mydomain.com, as well as pages.mydomain.com or go.mydomain.com
Cookies set in any subdomain of mydomain.com car be read in any other subdomain of mydomain.com, but not in other domains. This is a basic security set by browsers, in order to avoid for instance that when you navigate on amazon.com, amazon could ready your facebook domains and know immediately all the key caracteristics of your facebook profile.

So, the issue we are talking about in this thread arises when your Marketo domain is for instance mydomain.com and you set up your tracking code to another domain, such as aaa.com (and for all the subdomains of aaa.com) : when you navigate on any page in any subdomain of mydomain.com, you get a first lead in Marketo and Marketo writes a cookie on your computer that is valid and readable for any other page in mydomain.com. As soon as you jump to a page in domain aaa.com, Marketo cannot read the cookie in mydomain.com and therefore considers you are a new, anonymous lead and creates this anonymous lead (and only one, even if you come back to that domain later) and in the meantime writes a second cookie on your computer, which is readable for any pages in the domain aaa.com and all its subdomains.

The workaround I suggest that anyone with 2 domains at hand would test is to create a form in Marketo and embed it on a page in the cms (not a Marketo Landing page) that is in domain aaa.com, different from the Mareot primary domain. That form might be able to read the cookie in the domain aaa.com and reconcile it with the email address in the form. Then Marketo will deduplicate it with any other lead with that same email address, whaever domain that address has been captured from.

Hopes this helps,
Greg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I agree with the potential workaround. The problem is that the we want to use landingpages in Marketo and that a Landingpage in Marketo is always connected to the primary domain.

This means that it is not working even though the domains are the same, ie www.aaa.com and pages.aaa.com is not under the same domain as Marketo can not handle it if the landingpage is under a domain that is not primary.

What happens is that surf beahaviour towards pages.aaa.com is connected to an anonymous record on pages.primarydomain.com instead of aaa.com. This means the landing page functionality in combination with tracking never works for any other domains then the primay domain. Therefore I think Marketos counterpart functionality in this area is not on the same level as competitors until some kind of automatic linking is introduced.
Wayne_Rimando
Level 1
Subscribing
kh-lschutte
Community Manager
Status changed to: Open Ideas