Cap Registrations for Events

Cap Registrations for Events

There are many events in which having an unlimited amount of attendees could be a huge logistical problem. I'd love a way to cap the amount of attendees and automatically switch the landing page to a closed registration when registrations have hit its cap. Basically - "If list count = X, then show X landing page"

This was also discussed in this thead:
http://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PFSGAA4

64 Comments
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Marketo does not own Cvent, however, Vista Equity owns both Marketo and Cvent (and dozens of other SaaS companies). I can't comment on any product plans, since that's above my pay grade 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

We used Marketo web hooks to CAP Event (and non event) registrations on Marketo landing pages.

Marketo Magic: Automatically Cap Registrations For Any Marketo Form. Part - II | LinkedIn

See if that helps...

Anonymous
Not applicable

We did this as well. We used a webhook to log each entry and update some tokens which controlled the visibility of the form using CSS when the capacity was met. (Another value stored in a program token.)

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

This can be done right now using the Marketo API (saves you from subscribing to a third party service). Bit of a hassle to set up though, so I agree having something built in would save everyone's time. Happy to share current php solution via pm.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

But Jay, any attempt to use only the API for this is going to introduce a significant DoS vulnerability (possibly multiple vulns). How do you mitigate those attack vectors?

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Mainly by .htaccess

Order deny,allow

Deny from all

Allow from <IP address of your Marketo>

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'm talking about the use of API calls in response to untrusted end user events (not IP address restrictions).

What stops someone from consuming all your API calls as fast as you can consume their connections?

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

To be honest, I'm not a security expert but interested in hearing your feedback on the set up.The set up is: a webhook is called from Marketo when someone registers. The endpoint on the server is protected by the .htaccess file so all IP addresses are denied except for the single Marketo IP. There's also basic auth required to as part of the endpoint as an extra measure. I feel this is getting a little off topic, might be better to take it to pm/

Tara_Dacci
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Great idea! My field marketing team would love this!

Badsah_Mukherji
Marketo Employee

DONE. Event Caps is entering beta week after Adobe Summit/ Marketing Nation (i.e., after I return to the office). If you're interested in participating in this closed beta, please contact your CSM. Thanks. (For some reason, I don't have the permission to change this idea's stage/status, so I'll ask a colleague to do it.)