Allow {{my.Tokens}} in visited web page triggers, filters, and choice steps

Allow {{my.Tokens}} in visited web page triggers, filters, and choice steps

It should be possible to place a {{my.Token}} in a trigger such as "Visited Web Page URL Contains" and have the token value resolve properly. Currently this isn't the case - Marketo appears to interpret the token name literally, rather than the value it represents, so using a token in a trigger like this won't allow the trigger to fire properly.

2015-06-03_09-29-28.png

Why does this matter?

The beauty of tokens is they allow you to make programs that are highly template based, with 95% of their appearance, content, and behavior set in one central place. But this sort of thing is weirdly not supported, and needs to be manually set. It's easy to forget when every other aspect of your program is token-based, and just creates extra work that really shouldn't be necessary.

Logically, tokens should work here, because we're talking about a local asset. They work great in most front-end assets,  and actually are supported in some cases in smart campaign flowsteps such as interesting moments or data value concatenation. But it's strange that they work in some situations, and not others. Allowing tokens to work here makes the functionality a lot more predictable and reliable to work with.

19 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joining this party late... (but a shout out to anyone at Hakkasan - Marketo Summit 2016 )

Am I reading this correctly to mean that tokens set at the program level (or any level that applies) can't be used inside of a smart campaign trigger??

As in:

pastedImage_3.png

I really hate hard-coding. <sigh>

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Not just my tokens, any token!!

-Greg

Lucho_Soto
Level 5

Another use case that would save a lot of time: using a my token in the smartlist to track real email clicks using "visits web page" and "querystring". Currently 70% of the clicks recorded by our Marketo instance are from spam filters "clicking" on links. 

pastedImage_0.png

Jerome_Becaas
Level 1

Any updates on this topic? The thread was started in 2015...so basically 4 years later status-quo?

Anonymous
Not applicable

We moved on from marketo. This wasn't resolved top my knowledge. Best of luck.

Steve Ware

Director of Business Insights

Brownells

Email: steve.ware@brownells.com

Address: 3006 Brownells Pkwy, Grinnell, IA, 50112

Phone: 641-623-5401

Direct: 641-623-8097

OrderLine: 1-800-741-0015

NOTICE: This email message and all attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information, and is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read, disseminate, distribute, copy or otherwise use this message or its attachments. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all electronic and paper copies of the original message. Thank you.

Jerome_Becaas
Level 1

Thanks Steve. That's what I have realized. Thanks for your input!

Michael_Langell
Level 4

What do you use now that solves this problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

We abandoned Marketo.

Steve Ware

Director of Business Insights

Brownells

Email: steve.ware@brownells.com

Address: 3006 Brownells Pkwy, Grinnell, IA, 50112

Phone: 641-623-5401

Direct: 641-623-8097

OrderLine: 1-800-741-0015

NOTICE: This email message and all attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information, and is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read, disseminate, distribute, copy or otherwise use this message or its attachments. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all electronic and paper copies of the original message. Thank you.

kh-lschutte
Community Manager
Status changed to: Open Ideas