SOLVED

'Fail to retrieve sObject' and 'sync to marketo'

Go to solution
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: 'Fail to retrieve sObject' and 'sync to marketo'

I couldn't see a reason why the new record would have SFDC ID populated w/o any successful Sync to SFDC activity, and what's more strange that this ID doesn't correspond to any record in the SFDC (I'd think that you and Marketo sync user may not have access to that record in SFDC, but that still doesn't explain how the SFDC ID got on the person in Marketo in first place).

cookiemonstersa
Level 4

Thanks Darshil! 

I'll pass it over to support from here. Thanks for all your help here! 

cmistretta
Level 1

Would love to hear what you found out from support. I'm having this same issue and it's driving me NUTS. I cannot figure out how to get the original Marketo lead to sync back to Salesforce now that there has been a new form submit.

I tried creating a new lead in SF with minimal information, but that syncs to Marketo as a new, dupe lead. I tried to merge those, but Marketo can't merge them. I'm unable to access the field "SFDC Id" through Data Value Change in order to update it or clear it out, which is frustrating.

Ideally, I want to take the original Marketo lead with all of its data and push that over to Salesforce as a new lead, but it just errors out. Has anyone figured out how to "reset" any SFDC affiliation to push as a new SF lead?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'm unable to access the field "SFDC Id" through Data Value Change in order to update it or clear it out, which is frustrating.

Note this value being system-managed is saving you from far worse problems. It has to be managed by the system because it’s more complex than a static field, it’s like an ETL primary key. Marketo can only automatically manage merged records by having control over that value.

Darshil_Shah1

@cmistretta, from what I can infer from your post, you're facing errors while syncing the record that filled out a form, and was turned off using a custom Sync to Marketo checkbox before.

Couple of items to check here - 

1. Did you make sure that you turned on the Sync to Marketo checkbox in the SFDC  (sync cannot be re-enabled by updating the custom sync field from the Marketo end) for this record before trying to sync the record?

2. OP had an issue where-in a newly created person via the form-fill with exact same email address that'd earlier been disabled the CRM sync and deleted from Marketo got the SFDC Id of what seemed like an invalid SFDC record (OP confirmed this). There weren't any SFDC insert/update activities on the newly created record too. Can you confirm if you're also facing the exact same issue?

Also, @cookiemonstersa, were you able to figure what caused the new record created in Marketo to have the Id of the invalid SFDC record ever?

cookiemonstersa
Level 4

@cmistretta and  @Darshil_Shah1 I do have an update but not a fun one. 

After hours of back and forth, I have a semi-answer. 

We can see that it is in the recycling bin and not created but instead it is instantly being deleted. We thought this was coming from an Apex trigger from within salesforce but have no way to confirm this. 

After weeks of salesforce working on the issue I get this reply 
"As per our internal team this issue is out of our scope. You can check this article for more information.
https://help.salesforce.com/s/articleView?id=000313253&type=1

So all in all, I can tell the dup lead is being created, and instantly deleted. So it looks like before that happens some info is being passed over. I believe it's from a managed package from within salesforce, but can not tell what package, and do not want to delete all of them to find what one is doing it. And if its not a package and I delete them all, and the issue still exists, nightmare. 

Not sure what the next steps are but going back to Marketo with the issue. 

Darshil_Shah1

Ahh, thank you for the update, @cookiemonstersa! This is interesting, if @cmistretta is also experiencing the exact same issue, and assuming that the managed SFDC package is behind this, you both could probably narrow it down to the common SFDC packages installed in your respective orgs to start off with. I also don't think that this could be due to a flaw/bug in the Marketo <-> SFDC native integration, as if that'd have been the case, we'd probably be hearing about this from more people using the custom sync rules (but can't say for sure).

Keep us posted here with what Marketo support lets you know. Thank you! 🙂

cookiemonstersa
Level 4

The package is "LeadTrigger" By Visual Data.

If you want to test, you can create a sandbox in salesforce and one by one turn them off until you find the offending package. Unfortunately, you can turn them off easily in salesforce sandbox, but having enough code coverage to turn them off in production is another hurdle. 

Darshil_Shah1

Thanks, @cookiemonstersa! I agree with you, it could be a bit of a task to find the offending package.

cookiemonstersa
Level 4

Is there a way to see what managed packaged is deleting a record in salesforce?