SOLVED

'Fail to retrieve sObject' and 'sync to marketo'

Go to solution
cookiemonstersa
Level 4

'Fail to retrieve sObject' and 'sync to marketo'

I am having a problem with a semi-complicated process. 

We are removing a good number of people from our marketo database, but not all of these people are fully dead yet. We plan to keep most of them in salesforce, but uncheck 'sync to marketo' on the records, making them not sync back over to marketo. 

However if they form fill again, we want them to sync over to salesforce, and eventually merge together with the salesforce only record. We would do the merge with leandata once we buy it. 

However when we have someone in salesforce and uncheck 'sync to marketo' on the record. When the same email address comes back onto marketo and attempts to sync to salesforce we get this error message. "Fail to retrieve sObject 00Q2M00001KH16wUAD, this sObject could has been deleted or a permission setting is preventing sync user to read this record." 

It seems like it syncs enough to know it matches an object in salesforce, but not enough to update it? 

The SFDC ID returns this error when you look it up in salesforce "

Looks like there's a problem.

Unfortunately, there was a problem. Please try again. If the problem continues, get in touch with your administrator with the error ID shown here and any other related details.

The requested resource does not exist"

Any help would be awesome! 
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cookiemonstersa
Level 4

Re: 'Fail to retrieve sObject' and 'sync to marketo'

@cmistretta and  @Darshil_Shah1 I do have an update but not a fun one. 

After hours of back and forth, I have a semi-answer. 

We can see that it is in the recycling bin and not created but instead it is instantly being deleted. We thought this was coming from an Apex trigger from within salesforce but have no way to confirm this. 

After weeks of salesforce working on the issue I get this reply 
"As per our internal team this issue is out of our scope. You can check this article for more information.
https://help.salesforce.com/s/articleView?id=000313253&type=1

So all in all, I can tell the dup lead is being created, and instantly deleted. So it looks like before that happens some info is being passed over. I believe it's from a managed package from within salesforce, but can not tell what package, and do not want to delete all of them to find what one is doing it. And if its not a package and I delete them all, and the issue still exists, nightmare. 

Not sure what the next steps are but going back to Marketo with the issue. 

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

The ideal way to tackle this would be to let the Sync to Marketo field in the SFDC remain un-checked on the original SFDC only lead record (for which the corresponding Marketo synced record is deleted) when the lead with same email address re-enters the Marketo DB. Let the new lead sync to SFDC and then merge the older SFDC only record with the new SFDC record.

However when we have someone in salesforce and uncheck 'sync to marketo' on the record. When the same email address comes back onto marketo and attempts to sync to salesforce we get this error message. "Fail to retrieve sObject 00Q2M00001KH16wUAD, this sObject could has been deleted or a permission setting is preventing sync user to read this record." 

This may have happened in-case you did not delete the record from Marketo for which you turned off the SFDC sync, i.e., upon a form-fill, existing record in Marketo would have been updated and when you tried syncing this record with SFDC you see error as Sync to Marketo field for this record is still un-checked preventing it to access/see the corresponding lead record in the SFDC. In general the failed to retrieve object error occurs when Marketo cannot see/access the record it had earlier synced with in SFDC. 

cookiemonstersa
Level 4

Hey Darshil,

Thanks for the reply! The first part I totally agree with! 

The rest, is close but it's not quite the case. I think it may have something to do with marketo 'remembering' the person even though they were deleted out. For example, ,my test record has been deleted out of both marketo and salesforce. However, when they enter marketo again through a form fill, it fails to sync with the same error. When I look at the record it has a SFDC ID despite never having synced to salesforce and having the SFDC Created Date be empty. 

Note that this test does have unsubscribed checked, so I think it may have to do with durable unsubscribe.

Update: It also does this with records who have not unsubscribed. 

To make it even more interesting, the original person created in marekto and synced to salesforce has one ID in salesforce, but the new people that come into marketo via form fill, after the older record is deleted out of marketo, has a completly different salesforce ID than the one in salesforce, yet it still can not sync. 

Any thoughts? Thanks!! 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I think it may have something to do with marketo 'remembering' the person even though they were deleted out. For example, ,my test record has been deleted out of both marketo and salesforce. However, when they enter marketo again through a form fill, it fails to sync with the same error.

While you claim they were deleted from both Marketo and Salesforce, it sounds like you didn’t actually delete them from Marketo with Delete from CRM enabled. I would suggest you retest this scenario; what you’ve described is not the expected behavior. Marketo remembers email addresses for the purposes of Durable Unsubscribe, but there’s no “Durable SFDC ID” feature.

cookiemonstersa
Level 4

Hey Sandord, 

If you look at the end goal of my senario, its to keep the record in salesforce but delete them from marketo. Then when they form fill again, get them into salesforce again, and merge the records. 

I can not run delete person with Delete from CRM true. Because the Salesforce record is no longer visible to marketo. Giving me the error "SFDC Error:
The SFDC Object 00Q2M00001KHR6GUAX is filtered by Sync Filter, can't delete" 

Any thoughts? Thanks!! 

Darshil_Shah1

Sure - durable unsubscribe will create the lead with the master email status data by default, but OOTB when the previously synced deleted record re-enters in Marketo from non-SFDC sources, it should not have the SFDC ID field until they're synced with the CRM, and post sync the SFDC ID would be different from the record which was deleted. Can you check if the person source in the New Person activity is as per your expectation and description (i.e., web form fill out and at least not SFDC?). And also if this isn't the same record which you think was deleted but wasn't in first place for some reason.

When I look at the record it has a SFDC ID despite never having synced to salesforce and having the SFDC Created Date be empty. 

I think the different SFDC ID makes sense as it is not persisted when a previously synced record which was deleted gets re-created. But you say that the SFDC Id field is populated even before the net new record is synced with the SFDC, this sounds a little off and conventionally field is a system managed field which is populated with the SFDC record id when the record is synced with SFDC.

cookiemonstersa
Level 4

 Hey Darshil! 

Hey the persons source is "Source Type: Web form fillout"

The SFDC Id field is populated. 
Also when you delete out the record from marketo, and then form fill so they re-enter the system. They become unsearchable by email address, only when you remove the @.com do they become visible. Not sure if this is related by there is some strange stuff going on here. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 2.07.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-04 at 2.07.52 PM.png

Darshil_Shah1

IMO, it isn't new (at least to me) that a new lead isn't immediately searchable in the All People SL (it takes a while for indexing I believe). I think until you're able to find  lead in the All People SL with correct name and email, it should be fine.

So if I get this correctly - there was originally a synced record (with correct SFDC Id), then you deleted that record from Marketo, and when a new record with same email address is created via a form fill out in Marketo you see the SFDC Id field already populated in the Person info page. Lastly, upon trying to sync this record with SFDC, you encounter the person is deleted/not accessible error, right?

On the newly created record which smh has the SFDC id without being synced, do you see SFDC type field as NULL, or does it have any value, e.g. Lead?

cookiemonstersa
Level 4

Hey! All correct except this part 
"Lastly, upon trying to sync this record with Marketo, you encounter the person is deleted/not accessible error, right?"

If you mean Salesforce instead of marketo, then yes to everything! 

I see a lead ID on the marketo lead that fails to sync to salesforce. It is not NULL or empty.

Thanks!!

cookiemonstersa
Level 4

Also check this out. Despite the person 100% being deleted out of marketo using the delete person marketo function.

When I form fill again, this person, maintains their history from before, and this is in the activity history. How is this happening? I belive this is where the value is coming from for SFDC ID 

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 2.55.04 PM.png