Statement On Marketo.com Access Issues

Janet_Dulsky
Marketo Employee
Marketo Employee

We apologize sincerely for the access issues you are experiencing today on Marketo.com. Features accessed through Marketo.com such as forms, web personalization, etc. are affected due to a domain access issue through our DNS information service provider. The Marketo.com domains are being propagated and should be completed shortly. Marketing automation capabilities such as campaign management and execution, CRM sync, Munchkin, and API are not affected. As soon as domain access is restored, you will no longer experience these issues.

Is this article helpful ?

YesNo

57 Comments
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Alas, it would still have broken. Watch my blog for a post that explains why.

Janet_Dulsky
Marketo Employee

Grégoire Michel​, thanks for bringing up your idea. I will make sure the Product Team takes a closer look. I will also be interested to see Sanford Whiteman​'s blog.

Thanks, Janet

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Here's the direct link

What Happened When Marketo’s Domain Name Expired?

I'd like to have IT Ops explain how they plan to avoid not only the domain renewal issue but a better failover for their Name Servers.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni
  1. Communication was negligible. Twitter updates on MarketoCares never occurred. Minimal social. Not sure why Steve brought that up.
  2. Two Day issues is related to Adam's post that the DNS on Networks Solutions was set to TTL=2 days instead of lower.  This should have been better explained by the IT network engineer. It's fairly standard to say "it'll be ok in 24 hours" for DNS updates, assuming you do a standard TTL.
  3. Account Manager Notifications - naturally, until the marketo.com domain was restored, email could not be sent. I noticed that I did receive communications around 10am that day with a form letter and Support Manager was able to reply. But it also failed a couple of times as the DNS was restoring. Wouldn't be surprised if the AM did try to email you but it failed.
  4. Steve's email send was flawed. I know this through the grapevine but also because my actual usernames never received the note but an old email DID get his note. And my CMO received Steve's note, but I didn't?? Weird.
  5. I am disappointed that there hasn't been a clearer FAQ and some acknowledgement of the loss of business experienced by many customers.
Tyler_Coleman
Level 2

Hey Josh, we are currently planning solutions to address the domain and name server issues, we will send out a message to our customers when more information is available.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator
Anonymous
Not applicable

On 7/25 I scheduled an email to go out the following morning on 7/26 at 10:30am. Prior to scheduling this email, I had sent out multiple Tests from Marketo which were delivered successfully. However, by noon on 7/26 it came to my attention that we hadn’t received the email internally yet. All addresses containing our company's domain(s) bounced, however our European domain did receive the email. Our Customer Support department notified me that some external people received the email but none of the hyperlinks worked. I then checked my Outlook Inbox and read the email from the Marketo CEO (1am ET on 7/26) apologizing for the service issue (by then it was too late / the CEO's email got lost in my spam / the email only apologized and reassured but did not instruct caution).

I really feel this could have been avoided if Marketo had notified customers properly … for example a personal phone call, or after logging in perhaps a red alert banner warning us of the issue and possible repercussions. My company would have understood and put a hold on the campaign until all was resolved.

7/27 ... After waiting 24 hours, as Marketo suggested, I sent a Test to my company email address ... but unfortunately, several hours later, I have not received it.

7/28 ... I am still NOT receiving Test Samples from Marketo to my company's domain.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tyler_Coleman
Level 2

Hey Kelley, if you are still experiencing issues receiving test samples I would highly recommend that you create a support case at support.marketo.com . The vast majority of DNS issue have been resolved, however it is still possible to have some lingering issues depending on your company's particular circumstance. A support case would allow us look into your specific issues.

Betsy_Landon1
Level 2

As soon as the issue was diagnosed, Marketo should have stopped all emails from sending. The links in email could not be redirected. I couldn't verify that an email scheduled for 10am still sent until the next day. (The cause of the issue was diagnosed two hours prior.) Activity history showed that users repeatedly clicked links in the emails, because they couldn't load the page. This hurts our company's reputation as the user is not aware that it is a Marketo issue.  Forms were blank on our site completely for day 1 and intermittently for day 2 and 3. Marketo was not stable for us until mid-morning on Friday EDT - three days! It's bad enough that someone at Marketo made a huge mistake in not renewing the domain(s). It's another thing not to minimize the impact by stopping all emails from being sent. Inexcusable!