SOLVED

what is a static list?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

what is a static list?

what is a static list? What makes it different?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: what is a static list?

Alvin Francis​, just to add my own spin on this, one way I find helpful to think about lists is:

A static list is a bucket. If you put someone in the bucket they stay there until you remove them.

A smart list is a question in the form of, "show me all the people for whom the following things are true". The answer to the question is always a list of people who meet the criteria of your question at the moment in time the smart list runs.

Both types of lists can be very powerful. Smart lists are fluid and dynamic but can take longer to process. Static lists are fast and stable.

Using them together you can do some interesting things. Use a smart list to ask a question, add the resulting people to a static list, and you now have a static reference of the results at a specific point in time. This can be useful for reporting, lead routing, speeding up your instance, etc.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alvin Francis​ I moved your post from the Feedback and Help section to the Products and Support section.

You can find some good info about Static lists here: Understanding Static Lists - Marketo Docs - Marketo User Manual

Amod_Kumar_Shar
Level 2

Static list is a type of list that contains a fixed set of leads or contacts. The members of a static list are manually added or removed, and the list does not automatically update based on any criteria or rules. Static lists are useful for organizing and managing specific groups of leads or contacts, such as event attendees, customers, or prospects with particular characteristics.

Unlike dynamic lists, which automatically update based on defined criteria, static lists remain unchanged until a user manually adds or removes members.

/Many Thanks
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Amod_Kumar_Shar is this response original content?

Amod_Kumar_Shar
Level 2

Yes.

/Many Thanks
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

And this one?

Anonymous
Not applicable

A smart list is dynamically updated based on the rules that you have specified.  Today, John could qualify for the smart list, but tomorrow, based on the rules, he may not.

A static list doesn't dynamically update.  You have to add/remove people to the list.  If John was added yesterday, he will be there tomorrow, unless you explicitly specify that he should be removed (and this can be done manually or by using a smart campaign)

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Alvin Francis​, just to add my own spin on this, one way I find helpful to think about lists is:

A static list is a bucket. If you put someone in the bucket they stay there until you remove them.

A smart list is a question in the form of, "show me all the people for whom the following things are true". The answer to the question is always a list of people who meet the criteria of your question at the moment in time the smart list runs.

Both types of lists can be very powerful. Smart lists are fluid and dynamic but can take longer to process. Static lists are fast and stable.

Using them together you can do some interesting things. Use a smart list to ask a question, add the resulting people to a static list, and you now have a static reference of the results at a specific point in time. This can be useful for reporting, lead routing, speeding up your instance, etc.