using visits web page to track non gated collateral

Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

using visits web page to track non gated collateral

i am trying to use visits web page for some un gated pdfs

i am putting in these URLs but getting error message:
www.enkata.com/sites/default/files/downloads/EnkataForSales_Brochure.pdf
www.enkata.com/sites/default/files/downloads/EnkataForClaims_Brochure.pdf
www.enkata.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Enkata_SalesPerfMgmt_SolutionBrief.pdf
www.enkata.com/sites/default/files/downloads/EnaktaClaimsSolutionBrief.pdf
www.enkata.com/sites/default/files/downloads/EnaktaTrizettoSolutionBrief.pdf

can marketo not track these kind of pages?  do i have to create a download page they go to first from our site so marketo can see to track?
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: using visits web page to track non gated collateral

Marketo uses Munchkin to track webpage visits. Munchkin is just a few lines of code (JavaScript) that you embed on your page. When that code is read by the browser, it tells Marketo that the person visited that page. 

The problem here is that you cannot put Munchkin / the JavaScript code inside a PDF.

There are a few workarounds. But the workaround you described of having a link to the PDF on a download page would work, and enable you have to have tracking. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also recommend checking out our integrated partner UberFlip. They host content like PDFs for you, and send view data into Marketo for individual leads:

http://launchpoint.marketo.com/uberflip/1186-uberflip-for-marketo/
Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

yes, i know what the munchkin code is- it is on all our site pages. and i know cannot add code to a page hosting a pdf- was hoping some other workaround but sound like my intuition was correct  unless you have a different workaround

we don't want to add another vendor into mix but thanks for tip Murza!