SOLVED

updating a smart list on a recurring batch campaign

Go to solution
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

updating a smart list on a recurring batch campaign

I have a recurring batch campaign which delivers a newsletter once a month and this goes out to trial subscribers on the 20th of the month. I haven't scheduled this yet.  The smart list references an SFDC campaign that changes every month.  It's a different naming convention and different members every month.  Will changing the smart list before the 20th affect anything on this recurring batch campaign, or is it better to just clone the campaign every month and change the smart list every time?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: updating a smart list on a recurring batch campaign

The smart list only runs at the time the batch campaign runs, so you can modify this any time.

My preference is to run a separate campaign for every run in this situation because you can track what happens and who is a member more easily. This could be within 1 program, or multiple programs for each run. Depends how you want to run attribution. For instance I would have 1 program for Subscribers and 1 program for Trial Folks.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

The smart list only runs at the time the batch campaign runs, so you can modify this any time.

My preference is to run a separate campaign for every run in this situation because you can track what happens and who is a member more easily. This could be within 1 program, or multiple programs for each run. Depends how you want to run attribution. For instance I would have 1 program for Subscribers and 1 program for Trial Folks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

New Marketo user here. Thanks for the response. I have pretty much the same question, but was not clear on your answer. I am planning to run a recurring weekly batch campaign  to remind new members in our program to take action with a series of onboarding steps. It's pretty simple for now, just the same email, send each week.

The only dynamic change, is that I will manually update the database each week, with a refreshed list of members who are still stuck in the onboarding phase. The smartlist i've created just calls out anyone who is still in this onboarding phase.

Will the campaign only run the smartlist ONCE during the first email send, or will it run weekly (so that the send list is refreshed each week) before each weekly email send?

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Will the campaign only run the smartlist ONCE during the first email send, or will it run weekly (so that the send list is refreshed each week) before each weekly email send?

The latter.

Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

Thanks Josh, that makes sense.