Re: uBlock blocking all Marketo Forms from Mac computers

Ashley_Tate
Level 2

Is uBlock Origin blocking munchkin.marketo.net//munchkin.js simply because uBlock has it flagged as a tracking script or is it being blocked because it's a third party js file?

That being said, has anyone tried to call munchkin.js via a first party url, either on their website or a Marketo landing page? 

I can test on our website since I have control over the src in the function but with landing pages, Marketo plops the marketo.net version on them automatically so I'm not sure how to handle that short of having both the third party and first party (via Design Studio) on the landing page and hope for the best?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Because it's a known tracking pixel.

Trying to route around that is defying the express privacy aims of the end user. Don't do it.

Ashley_Tate
Level 2

Wasn't trying to go around the privacy of the user--I'm a uBlock user, too.

If what pre-fills forms is the same code that tracks activity then whoever is using uBlock will just have to suffer with always seeing a full length empty form and a preference center that won't show what they're subscribed to. 😕

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If what pre-fills forms is the same code that tracks activity then whoever is using uBlock will just have to suffer with always seeing a full length empty form and a preference center that won't show what they're subscribed to. 😕

That's what I would expect if I tell a site not to remember who I am.

That very surprise of "Hey, I just navigated to that site directly and it still knew me" is what a person running anti-tracking software is trying to avoid, no?

In any case, yes, pre-fill depends (among other things) on there being a tracking cookie previously associated with a named lead. That's why it works even if you haven't just clicked a Marketo link (i.e. there is no identifying information in the URL).  It is, indeed, possible to create an associated cookie without loading Munchkin at all (i.e. without tracking page views or page clicks) but this would require custom code, and I still wouldn't say for sure this isn't "tracking" the user (by definition, you're remembering that at some point they did something that was trackable, and if the idea is to remember nothing about the session, you've violated that).

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

So, just a note here for future reference: it seems both uBlock and Firefox's Privacy Mode are blocking resources that come from marketo.net altogether without being too picky on subdomains.

This wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that several out-of-the-box landing page templates reference templates.marketo.net, which is caught in the desire to block Munchkin tracking. If you're still using the Marketo-hosted versions of common assets like bootstrap.css or jQuery, you need to find CDN equivalents, whether that's at cdnjs, jsDeliver, BootstrapCDN, etc.