SOLVED

Re: {{system.unsubscribeLink}} inside of {{my.token}}

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

{{system.unsubscribeLink}} inside of {{my.token}}

I'm seeing conflicting discussions about nesting tokens.

Is there a way to have the {{system.unsubscribeLink}} inside of an email script {{my.token}}. Or if it isn't the {{system.unsubscribeLink}} token, then some form of dynamic unsubscribe link.

We want to have a master footer as a token. We've chosen this method over a snippet or template method as an updates does not trigger an asset approval process.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Branding domains are for email click tracking. You're showing the LP domain setup, which is a different section (but may also be currently at its default).

Your Unsubscribe Page is like any other LP.  It's at http://au-sn02.marketo.com/lp/797-CWU-691/UnsubscribePage.html.

I strongly recommend that you set up an LP (sub)domain under your client's domain, otherwise you will (a) not be able to track web activity as leads move from the LP domain to the client's www site, and (b) you will lose tracking outright if they visit other Marketo customers who also don't have a domain set. It's a lose-lose situation.

If there an equivalent setup we can use for {{system.forwardToFriendLink}} inside of the same {{my.edm_master_footer}} email script token?

Sure, the FtoF also has a known pattern, which you can see by embedding the {{system.}} token and then copying the resulting URL into your Velocity token.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
SanfordWhiteman

It's possible to access the Admin » Email » Unsubscribe HTML in Velocity; however, the method is purposely undocumented, so I'd share it over DM only.

You can also, of course, simply use a Velocity token -- on its own -- to reproduce the {{system.unsubscribeLink}} link w/dynamic parameters. What exactly is going to be "dynamic" about your unsubscribe link?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford

Sorry, there isn't anything dynamic that we're doing to the URL. I meant more that the URL was "dynamic" for each user with their own token.

If you have a method to share over DM, that would be great. Thank you.

SanfordWhiteman

What do you mean by "token" exactly? You mean the URL must include a {{lead.token}} -- and if so, why? Are you using a non-Marketo-hosted unsubscribe page? Please describe your setup in full.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have tried several ways of implementing the unsubscribe token inside of our {{my.edm_master_footer}} email script token.

Here are simplified examples of the {{my.edm_master_footer}} email script token that we have tried that have not rendered a functioning unsubscribe link.

EXAMPLE 1:

<a href="%mkt_opt_out_prefix%UnsubscribePage.html?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK##" target="_blank">unsubscribe</a>

EXAMPLE 2:

#set ($unsubscribe_link = %mkt_opt_out_prefix%UnsubscribePage.html?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK##)

<a href="${unsubscribe_link}" target="_blank">unsubscribe</a>

EXAMPLE 3:

<a href="{{system.unsubscribeLink}}" target="_blank">unsubscribe</a>

EXAMPLE 4:

#set ($unsubscribe_link = {{system.unsubscribeLink}})

<a href="${unsubscribe_link}" target="_blank">unsubscribe</a>

SanfordWhiteman

You're overthinking it!

The {{system.unsubscribeLink}} is basically a static value (unless you're changing your primary LP domain often). It's guaranteed to point to the same page (if it weren't, everyone using UnsubscribePage.html would suddenly break), so is very easy to simulate.

Your Velocity token can just output:

<a href="http://lp-domain.example.com/UnsubscribePage.html?mkt_unsubscribe=1">unsubscribe</a>

As this is a trackable link, Marketo will rewrite it to bounce off your branding domain and will add the mkt_tok Munchkin associator token automatically.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This particular client is not using a branding domain. It's just a default setup. So we would use http://au-sn02.marketo.com/UnsubscribePage.html?mkt_unsubscribe=1 as the unsubscribe link inside the token?

Because we end up on a Marketo Error 500 page.

If there an equivalent setup we can use for {{system.forwardToFriendLink}} inside of the same {{my.edm_master_footer}} email script token?

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 12.10.19 PM.png

SanfordWhiteman

Branding domains are for email click tracking. You're showing the LP domain setup, which is a different section (but may also be currently at its default).

Your Unsubscribe Page is like any other LP.  It's at http://au-sn02.marketo.com/lp/797-CWU-691/UnsubscribePage.html.

I strongly recommend that you set up an LP (sub)domain under your client's domain, otherwise you will (a) not be able to track web activity as leads move from the LP domain to the client's www site, and (b) you will lose tracking outright if they visit other Marketo customers who also don't have a domain set. It's a lose-lose situation.

Sure, the FtoF also has a known pattern, which you can see by embedding the {{system.}} token and then copying the resulting URL into your Velocity token.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If if we use http://au-sn02.marketo.com//lp/UnsubscribePage.html?mkt_unsubscribe=1 we end up at a Marketo 404 page

SanfordWhiteman

I provided the correct URL above. Remember that Marketo cannot possibly route you to the right page on a pod unless you include your Munchkin ID (which identifies your instance).