"other retrieval methods not yet implemented" using tokens in 'Alert' Flow step

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

"other retrieval methods not yet implemented" using tokens in 'Alert' Flow step

I have a Smart Campaign w/Smart List that catches any 'Email is Delivered' activity (for any e-mail).

My goal is to use the 'Alert' type of Flow step to send that same Email to a particular e-mail address.

However, if I use the token {{Trigger.Name}} in the Email field on the Flow step, I get the error "other retrieval methods not yet implemented," which I presume means "you can't yet use a dynamic token here."

If I hard-code the name of an Email, that particular Email will be sent successfully.  But that defeats the purpose of having the Smart List catch any Email and send that triggering Email in response.  And it is also impossible to manage, as the Flow step would always need to be updated to contain every possible Email in the system.

Are there any other ways to accomplish what I am describing?
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Gunjan_Batra1
Level 4

Re: "other retrieval methods not yet implemented" using tokens in 'Alert' Flow step

Hi Sanford,

Can you please explain this with example? If you are sending EMAIL A to 10 contacts and if that email gets delivered to all 10 of them whom do you want to send same EMAIL A to another set of contacts?
What is the purpose of that?

Thanks,
Gunjan
SanfordWhiteman

Re: "other retrieval methods not yet implemented" using tokens in 'Alert' Flow step

Marketo has no way to mandate that a given Lead is included in a Smart List. Users cannot be trusted to always include specific clauses in their SLs. Thus the only way to ensure that Leads receive an e-mail or range of e-mails is to use trigger logic.

For example, if our web video team always must be included, there's no way the marketing team is always going to remember to add those matching addresses onto Every. Smart. List. Ever, including ad hoc sends.
Geoff_Krajeski1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I get this same System Error message when trying to approve one of my segments for Source (FT).

Nothing out of the ordinary here, just looking at a single field and its values...   

"other retrieval methods not yet implemented"

SanfordWhiteman

Strange... and I have zero memory of having posted that thread so long ago!

I'll see if I can repro it but doubt I've seen it since I was young and strong...