SOLVED

Re: "Click here" on emails

Go to solution
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

"Click here" on emails

I've been trying to tell our content writers that they should really stop using "click here" as their call to action on their emails and on the website.  I've changed it on many occassions.  What do you do to convince your content writers to choose something else.  Or am I wrong in not wanting to use "click here". 
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can spend hours tryig to change their mind and then someone from an angency or an article will say the same thing and suddenly they believe it. It's like magic! I will never understand why an outside source is always more trusted than internal people.
Try this link it's all about why you should never say click here.
http://uxdesign.smashingmagazine.com/2012/06/20/links-should-never-say-click-here/
hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can spend hours tryig to change their mind and then someone from an angency or an article will say the same thing and suddenly they believe it. It's like magic! I will never understand why an outside source is always more trusted than internal people.
Try this link it's all about why you should never say click here.
http://uxdesign.smashingmagazine.com/2012/06/20/links-should-never-say-click-here/
hope this helps!
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I cannot stand it when people do that. You need to remind them that "click here" is from 1995 and died shortly afterwards.

hyperlinks are contextual, people know that. If they really want a button, then help them make a big button.

Heather's right that having an external source say the same thing will somehow magically make them agree. If you're really good, you can make them think it was their idea...perhaps with the right questions to get them to reach the same conclusion.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could A/B test, loser buys lunch for a week.
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

Thanks everyone.  @Josh, I do swap a button instead of the click here link, and sometimes, I change the wording. I'm going to use all 3 suggestions.  Instead of lunch, I want shoes of my choice, and if my version loses, I'll eat humble pie for a week.