munchkin.js timing out on page load

Anonymous
Not applicable

munchkin.js timing out on page load

We have this issue where when viewing our Marketo landing pages on our company network, the munchkin.js takes about 30 seconds to load, before it fails and times out. The issue is that it causes errors with our other js elements on the page until times out (ie. forms and videos that pop-up when clicked, etc) which causes issues when trying to QA not only myself, but with anyone else internally, as waiting 30ish seconds for a page to load before clicking anything is obnoxious.

Screenshot_20.jpg

I've also spoken with our IT department as high up as our VP about this, as we have deduced it is most likely related to our web filter/scan safe tool we use, because this error does not occur when not on our network/VPN. However, Every domain and extension we could identify related to Marketo has been white listed in an attempt to resolve this.

Clearly this issue seems specific to us, but we can't be the only one whose company has some web filter/scan safe tool in place, so I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar or could recommend what else to look at.

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: munchkin.js timing out on page load

I'd find it surprising if you've whitelisted munchkin.marketo.net and connections are being tarpitted (not just immediately dropped) by an intermediate security device. That behavior makes no sense. I would think it's more likely that you haven't found the real culprit.

I sympathize with the frustration this must cause.  If you want someone to troubleshoot further you can hit me at sandy@figureone.com.  I'm a web operations guy (more than I'm a MA guy, admittedly) so I can help you isolate further.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sanford. I've submitted a case with Marketo with some more details and I'll followup pending on what I can work out from them.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

OK. I doubt Support is going to work on issues behind your firewall, though. One sort-of-fix is to manually load munchkin.js from your LP domain -- assuming whatever IDS/IPS device you have is triggering on "marketo.com" being in the host header and not more generally on Marketo's IP range.