Re: multiple Request Campaign API calls result in the same campaignRunId (?)

Mark_Price
Level 7

multiple Request Campaign API calls result in the same campaignRunId (?)

Wondering if anyone has run into this issue system behavior.

We have a few recurring campaigns (weekly, monthly) that are triggered from a Request Campaign API call w/replacement tokens. If someone is sent the email 2 times, it looks like the campaignRunId is the same. Looking further into it, it looks like all the API call based sends for a campaign will have the same campaignRunId.

This is giving me headache because I was planning on using campaignRunId with some other data points as a unique identifier for the send. It seems like the API sends would need to fallback on a date/time logic in these cases.

Anyone else run into this?

Some campaigns have been converted to work off a field update and that seems to generate unique campaignRunIds so if there's no fix for Request Campaign, will have to go that route.

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Do you see the same if you chain the API-based ​Request Campaign ​to a second Flow-based ​Request Campaign​? ​(Leaving aside that the temporary tokens will be lost for the moment.)

Mark_Price
Level 7

Ran the tests on 2 records, results are below.  Results are not what I was expecting- the Flow Step Request Campaign has a similar system behavior of re-issuing the campaignRunId after it's generated.

API-based Request Campaign Call #1: This is the first person in the campaign, so it created a campaignRunId

runId-1.png

Flow Step-based Request Campaign #1: Incremented by 1, generated another campaignRunId

runId-2.png

API-based Request Campaign Call #2: re-used campaignRunId from 1st API call

runId-3.png

Flow Step-based Request Campaign #2: re-used campaignRunId from previous Request Campaign flow step

runId-4.png

API-based Request Campaign Call #3: Using a different test lead, re-issued original API-based campaignRunId

runId-5.png

Flow Step-based Request Campaign #3 Using a different test lead, re-issued flow step campaignRunId

runId-6.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Nice work as usual!

Hit me up via email and we can try some other things.

Mark_Price
Level 7

Ok, will do!  Thanks for the help. 

I spot checked the campaigns that trigger on a data value change from the API and they also re-distribute the campaignRunId.  

Sort of surprised this isn't giving anyone else problems but to even notice you would need to have:

1. A recurring campaign triggered via API call

2. Extracted Bulk Data

3. Reports that leverage the extracted data (or try to at least)

Have one potential workaround, will send via email

Mark_Price
Level 7

Results of running the test script: 

API-based send results:

runId-8-api.png

Flow step-based resuls:

runId-7-flow.png

The campaignRunId being recording in the activity log is the same that is being used at run-time