{{member.webinar url}} token not working in the Add to Calendar token description field

Laurie_Johnson
Level 2

{{member.webinar url}} token not working in the Add to Calendar token description field

Hey guys!

Webinar token question...

We're using local (my) tokens at the program level for an "Add to Calendar" link within a webinar confirmation email. The "Add to Calendar" token has another token listed within the description field that should be syncing with the event partner (GoToWebinar) from the event program. The token for the URL within the "Add to Calendar" token is:

{{member.webinar url:default=edit me}}

This token works in the confirmation email that we send as a link, but not within the "Add to Calendar" token description field. This leads me to believe that it is not due to the webinar provider integration with Marketo. Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, how did you solve it?

Add to Calendar Token.PNG

Thanks in advance for your help!

9 REPLIES 9
Corey_Bethel
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Re: {{member.webinar url}} token not working in the Add to Calendar token description field

Hi Laurie,

Unfortunately, tokens do no work inside other tokens.

Corey Bethel
Consultant | Etumos
Laurie_Johnson
Level 2

Re: {{member.webinar url}} token not working in the Add to Calendar token description field

Hey Corey, tokens do work inside other tokens. If you open the image I posted, you'll see a little black square image to the right of the description field and if you click that- it opens a pop-up box to insert a token.

Kyle_McCormick
Level 5

Hi Laurie,

Take a look at this thread: {{member.Webinar – url}} in the confirmation email to the Webinar Is the email and the calendar file in the event program? You can definitely use tokens inside a calendar invite, but it needs to be nestled under the Event Program.

Thanks,
Kyle

Laurie_Johnson
Level 2

Hi Kyle, Thank you for your reply. The Add to Calendar token/file lives within the event program (at the program level) and the confirmation email also lives within the same event program. I'm stumped

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Laurie_Johnson
Level 2

Thanks, Sanford but I'm not using a wait step. The Add to Calendar token is used in the confirmation email that is immediately sent post-registration.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You cannot do that and expect the {{Member.Webinar URL}} to work when they click the link. That's why a Wait is usually used, but my blog post explains that it isn't necessary. And there's also a note about how to build a dynamic ICS file that includes the {{Member.Webinar URL}}.

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Hi Laurie,

The reason the token is not populated is likely because the token value itself has not yet been defined when the email is sent. This is due to the fact that it takes the two platforms (Marketo + Webinar Platform) a small amount of time to pass information back and forth and get that token populated on the contact inside the program.

Because of this, most users use a wait step. Ours was 3 minutes before I implemented Sanford Whiteman​'s approach that he linked to above. His workaround approach avoids the requirement of knowing the exact {{Member.Webinar URL}} token value before sending the confirmation email. Otherwise, the wait step is the likely solution.

Thanks,

Chris

Jessica_Meyers_
Level 2

Hey Laurie,

Where are you referencing the Add To Calendar Token? How are you testing and confirming its not working. Would love to get a better idea of how your using the token before troubleshooting.