marketo's responsive email templates not working properly?

John_Wallace
Level 4

marketo's responsive email templates not working properly?

Hey I was wondering if anyone has used marketo's responsive email templates?  I tried sending a test email to see how it looks in a mobile device and it does not seem the media query breakpoints work properly.  It looks the same as the desktop  just smaller.  Am I missing something here?  Tested it in gmails webclient on mobile.   I know gmail you need to have all styles inline but there is no way to inline a media query.  Do all responsive emails only work in apple mail or another client with similar css coverage?  Thanks

-John
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: marketo's responsive email templates not working properly?

Support of non-inline CSS styles (+ media queries) varies for client, device, and browser. The email client must support non-inline CSS in order for the media queries to work.

Here's a table of current devices and their support:
https://www.campaignmonitor.com/guides/mobile/#mobile-support

I would do this: 
  1. Select 'Preview Email' for the email in question
  2. Then select 'Show Full Screen' under 'Preview Actions'
  3. Resize the browser window. Since nearly all modern browsers support media queries, this should tell you if they are in place.
To view on a device, make sure that you are using the device's native email client (the built in app for email), not the mobile website of gmail, for example.

Hope this helps. Responsive emails can be tricky!
John_Wallace
Level 4

Re: marketo's responsive email templates not working properly?

Hey thans Erik,

Yeah I way have been too hasty in posting this question, kind of figured out that this is the case with various email clients.  Thanks for the link  of the device support.

-John