Re: just checking: should i create custom fields in SFDC or MKTO?

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

just checking: should i create custom fields in SFDC or MKTO?

im following along with this guide: https://nation.marketo.com/docs/DOC-2752#jive_content_id_Bounce_Categories_

step 1 says create 6 custom fields in MKTO, so I did. But they are not syncing to SFDC.

If you have a connection with SFDC, should you be actually building these fields in SFDC instead of Marketo to ensure everything syncs properly?

i imagine this has been answered a million times but I couldnt find a straight answer with a quick search, so apologies in advance!

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Mikes_Jones
Level 8

another question

when creating a "score" field, should i create that in SFDC as a number field and then when it syncs over to MKTO change the MKTO field type to score?

Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Malik,

It is best practice to create new fields in the CRM first, since they will auto-sync over to Marketo. If you create them on the Marketo side, then you will need to create another field in SFDC and manually map them together. However, if the field does not need to be accessible in SFDC, then you can just create it in Marketo.

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Thanks! and what about creating a score field in SFDC and syncing it over to MKTO? SFDC doesnt have a "score" type when creating a field, so should i just use "number", and then how do i let MKTO know that its actually a score field?

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Malik,

Once the field has been synced over, you can go to Admin -> Field Management, select the field you want as a score, and change its type there.

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Thats what I thought - thanks!