Re: how do I send an email

Anonymous
Not applicable

how do I send an email

I have the email as a local assest and is approved, but I don't see anywhere where I can actually send it. I have a list of emails I want to manually use. Is this possible?

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What kind of program did you create (e.g., what channel type)? If the channel is default, you will have to create a smart campaign -- create new smart campaign, define the smart list (who receives it) and then define the flow (select the email you want to use) and then schedule. If you used the "email channel" it should automatically appear in a drop down on the control panel under the "email section". 

My guess is you created a default program type, which means you will need to create a smart campaign.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stephen. Thank you for your help! I just made the Smart Campaign but I cannot figure out how to add who I want the email sent to. I went to smart list but where do I manually import the emails?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lauren,

No problem. I'm a bit confused by what your issue is. Are you trying to add "who you want the email sent to" which coudd be done in the smart list by slecticing specific filters, or are you trying to access the email that you want to send?

If you already have your smart list selected and you just need to select the email (in the flow) section, there should be a drop down in the send email section. 

Have you already created the email in Marketo?

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stephen!

I have created the email in Marketon. I just cannot figure out how to put the emails in that need to receive the email. So I am tryint to add who the email is going to get sent to. I don't have any of the people who are supposed to get the email in Marketo yet. How do I add them to a smart list?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lauren,

You will first need to import your list of records into Marketo. There are at least two different ways you'll discover to do this. Once you have leads/records in Marketo, you will be able to add them to a Smart List and use a Flow step to send them an email. 

You might want to spend some time with some of Marketo's courses: https://community.marketo.com/marketocourses
The one in Basics 2 called "Managing Customer Data" could be really helpful to you. I found them very helpful when I was getting started. 

- Sarah 
Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

There's a few ways to add people to a smartlist. You can either upload a list, then pull a smartlist of "if they are in this list" then send them the email. Also, within a smartlist you can use filters to pull the relevant people you'd like to recieve the email. You can sort them in a number of ways: customer, lead, region, etc. Basically, if the data is available/in your database, you can send them an email based on that criteria.

HOWEVER: before you do any of this, make sure you are creating a program. (Right click: create new program). Put the email that you created into this program. If it is in the design studio, right click and select move to move it to your new program you just created. Then, make your smart campaign within this program. If you're uploading a list, you'll want to include it in this program as well. The smart list, static list, smart campaign and email are all considered "assets" for this program. Once you've created the program, you can right click and select "create new asset". 

Although this should help you get a program up and running, you should consider attending marketo university. It will help you learn how to set up and run programs so that you are successful with your instance! http://www.marketo.com/services/education/ They have training both online and in person. Best of luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lauren! The best advice would be to go through the Fundamentals training on demand, which is available at no cost. Simply click the "University" tab up at the top then pick "Courses" off the left hand menu. It should bring you here:
https://community.marketo.com/marketocourses

These are the same training courses I used when I was a brand new Marketo employee!

For email and campaigns I would suggest viewing "Basics 1: New to Marketo - Email Program" and "Basics 2: Abbreviated Foundation On Demand - Email Program" and ""Basics 2: Abbreviated Foundation On Demand - Programs, Campaigns and Scoring."

Those should show you everything you need to know to get your email out the door. Naturally there is much, much more to this which is why all the rest of the training is in there.