Re: how do I include customer consent to an email

Lopa1408
Level 3

how do I include customer consent to an email

I would like to include customer consent (opt in for receiving marketing/promotional emails) in my email programs; what is the easiest way to do that? Please let me know about the details.

8 REPLIES 8
Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I am not sure I understand your question. Do you want to know:

• How to make sure your email is sent only to people who consented?
  • How to include an option in your email to update / give / revoke consent?
  • Something else?

If you can give a little bit more background to your question and how consent is collected at the moment it would be easier to give you a useful answer.

Lopa1408
Level 3

I would like to add some kind of consent to receive marketing emails; how do I do that? Do I need to create a form and then do embed code to give the code top be hosted in landing page? We donot have any LP or form as of now. Any details to be followed is really appreciated. Do we need to create a landing page in our website first?

• How to include an option in your email to update / give / revoke consent?
Katja_Keesom

First thing to do is to decide which options you want to provide. Is it a straight unsubscribe vs opt-in or do you allow for partial opt-ins (e.g. I only want to receive newsletters and not promotional emails), temporary unsubscribes or any other options.

Once you have decided on that, you indeed build a landing page with a form to capture that information. Once that has been set up you can replace the standard unsubscribe link with the url to your subscription center landing page, making sure to add the required parameters ?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK##.

This post explains the way to set this up very well: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Champion-Program-Blogs/The-comprehensive-guide-to-setting-up-the-unsub....

Lopa1408
Level 3

Thanks for your reply. I can create a landing page with a form like this: 

Lopa1408_0-1603117512116.png

and then use this LP URL(example http://pages.abc.com/2020-10-02-christmas greeting.html) in the unsubscribe link which currently is a token ({{system.unsubscribeLink}})

Will that be enough or I am missing something ?

I didn't get this one - "making sure to add the required parameters ?mkt_unsubscribe=1&mkt_tok=##MKT_TOK##." can you explain this part?

Katja_Keesom

I wouldn't use a form like that. If you are emailing to the person and all you want is to offer them the option to opt in or out, you do not need all those fields (the person is already in your database). I would create a form specifically for the preference selections and definitely also offer the option to opt out (unsubscribe) if you use it as the unsubscribe link in an email. So less personal data and more preference options on the form.

Ours has quite a lot of partial options and changes depending on what you select (if you select one or more interest areas the Why unsubscribe dropdown disappears and the button text changes to update my preferences), but this is just to give you an idea.

Katja_Keesom_0-1603119150564.png

Lopa1408
Level 3

How do I create a form having preference selection?

Lopa1408_0-1603129951616.png

This is a form for the unsubscribe; if I want to add another field to opt in for promotional emails how do I do that?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can't simply add another field to that primitive form, because it already includes the system Unsubscribed field as a hard-coded Yes.

As Katja's shown in the screenshot above, a Preference Center is a far more complex project that involves managing the system Unsubscribed field in concert with individual newsletter preferences. You can't unsubscribe someone from everything and subscribe to one thing simultaneously!

I'm inclined to recommend you work with a consultant to build out your Pref Ctr as it's a critical part, perhaps the most critical part, of your marketing operations setup.

Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

In case you're looking to provide option to collect consent, there's some good ideas here - https://www.marketo.com/ebooks/the-gdpr-and-the-marketer/