Re: This is the worst program I've ever used

Anonymous
Not applicable

help

To save, I've been using Approve&Close, then Unapproving (AutoSave did not work and all my work was lost)

I can not edit a template nor can I create a template. Sorry, i want to create an email, not use these ugly templates with 4x height of image size

How can I just code it and then import and add your custom Marketo codes?

???

11 REPLIES 11
Mikes_Jones
Level 8

do you have sufficient privileges? you should be able to edit templates and create templates

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Hey Michele,

For emails, you should be able to directly edit the code within individual emails by clicking edit code. Why are you unable to edit/create templates? I agree that the WYSIWYG editor is not great when trying to do any customization.

pastedImage_2.png

Thanks!

Trevor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Trevor, Maybe you can explain the Communication error - which is blocking me from replacing an image.

I’ve logged out and logged in, have tried using an image I uploaded, one already there and uploading it again. This program is bad enough but replacing a simple image just plain does not work.

-M

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Michele,

You should also be able to build a coded email template in Marketo via the design studio. If you select the Design studio from the homepage and then go under Email, Templates (see screenshot below) it should give you the option to select New Email Template. In that new email template you should be able to add your HTML Code.

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 4.49.53 PM.png

Once you finish adding your code, simply approve it and you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

It's important to note, though, that your template needs at least one editable section (surrounded by the appropriate Marketo syntax).  Check out these product docs for more information:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Michele,

I'm a former MailChimp, WhatCounts Publicaster/Campaigner, and Silverpop/IBM Marketing Cloud user, and I think I understand what you're trying to do here. Are you trying to code your entire email from scratch outside of Marketo and then just import your HTML file or a zip file containing it like you can in other programs? If so, the process is a little different in Marketo. If you just want to edit the code of a single email without creating a template, click on the Edit Code button in the Email Editor (shown in the screenshot Trevor shared above), and then paste your HTML in from your coding software. You cannot edit the source code of emails with dynamic content, but this should work for static emails.

If you have templates or code snippets that you work with outside of Marketo, I highly recommend setting them up as Marketo email templates using the steps Courtney outlined above and the articles Dan linked. I used all of the articles Dan linked to develop an email template for my company a few weeks ago. I'd be happy to help if you have any questions throughout the process.

As far as saving your work goes, I usually just choose Approve and Close because I'm paranoid about autosave.

I hope this helps!

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

To build on what Jenn mentions here - specifically around adopting to their proprietary template approach - you can really create an environment that makes creating emails and landing pages quite easy (and on-brand) - even for novices.  We recently worked with an agency on an "all-in-one" template that will be used for any type of email communication: newsletters, campaign content, event invitations, blog subscriptions, etc.  Here's a sampling of the variety of modules at our disposal to enable us to create the layout that works best for the type of communication/promotion:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_0.png

It was a bit painful to get here - primarily all of the testing required (especially to get modules to render properly in Outlook) and going back and forth with the agency to make the necessary code changes.  But now that we've deployed this in our instance, the field marketers love the ability - and flexibility - to create just the look they want.  And since the hero banners are editable (text) and users can select from a wide variety of base images, they don't need to go to creative services every time they need a new email/landing page banner.

Mark_McGourty
Level 2

I am having similar issue; went to agency but code does not render well in Outlook; especially images.  I realize you need Marketo Syntex and cannot simply paste HTML from Dreamweaver etc..  You can seethe baseline of my image leaves a gap (grey color)  The image size is not customization - it should be.  It is built to 640px  wide but height will vary - not sure how to operationalize this.  Emails look great in Gmail and Yahoo; Outlook is sole issue.  My settings have been looked at; others have seen same game;  Frustrating. Unsure how to move forward but cannot be confident enough to send out emails as we are B2B so Outlook is dominant.  Thoughts appreciated.  Marketo has been unhelpful.

Outlook-Image.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again, Yes, there was an initial lack of permissions. After which I was able to see that it was not just a simple log-in and enter code, which was also extremely frustrating. But after a bit, I was able to make edits to the code starting with a template that was close to my design, then downloading it to Dreamweaver and copying it back up. But I do find this a difficult way to work. The code is cumbersome, and it just wasn't what I was expecting. I do understand it does an excellent job in other areas. Custom Design - not so easy!

Thanks for all the tips everyone : )