Re: email sent to duplicate and received twice by each duplicate

Anne-Sophie_Maz
Level 2

email sent to duplicate and received twice by each duplicate

Hi Community,

I just arrived in a new agency and inherited the Marketo account of a client who is just migrating from previous agency to my agency.

A newsletter was set by previous agency and sent out and (being on the list) I noticed that I received twice this communication (parted by 25 min).

Checking inside the system, I saw that my email address was duplicated (3 persons actually with the exact same email address exist in Marketo after a Salesforce sync) and entering on the activity log of each I noticed that 2 of the persons were sent the newsletter (I can see "email sent", 'email delivered" "email opened" on the activity logs of 2)

As I always thought that Marketo by essence wasn't sending the same email twice to identical email addresses even if it was attached to different person/lead, I had a look at how the previous agency built the email program.

The only strange thing that I remarked is that they didn't program the send at the program level through the control panel but from a smart campaign (with the flow step "email send" and smart list "member of a smart list")

Does anybody know why the newsletter was sent twice?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Anne-Sophie

5 REPLIES 5
Harish_Gupta6
Level 8

Hi Anne,

You need to check the qualification rules in Schedule tab of smart campaign.

pastedImage_0.png

If the setting is "Everytime" then Marketo will send the email each time the duplicate email id will come in list. You need to change this setting to "Only Once" so Marketo will not send the emails to duplicate ids.

Thanks

Harish Gupta
Anne-Sophie_Maz
Level 2

Thanks Harish

It was the first thing I checked.

There must be something else because the setting is "only once" and yet I received the email twice...

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 9.06.39 AM.png

MYSTERY!!!

Any other suggestions by any chance?

Anne-Sophie

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Show us more of the Flow steps, please.

Anne-Sophie_Maz
Level 2

There is only one step on the flow : send the email

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 4.48.10 PM.png

one on the smart list

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 4.48.24 PM.png

And basically they sent all the edms via smart campaign to "have immediate insights on email measurements" rather sending the email at the level program via the control panel...

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 4.48.44 PM.png

I have never seen that...

Is it best practice?

Exequiel_Carriz
Level 2

Hi Anne-Sophie,

Have you checked the Communication limit under the Admin tab?

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 11.47.15 am.png

Also, have you checked that these two separate leads got merged after the deployment? Please refer to > https://nation.marketo.com/docs/DOC-5921-email-was-sent-twice-to-one-record