Re: batch delete leads?

Anonymous
Not applicable

batch delete leads?

I have a messy marketo instance with over 30,000 email addresses. Many of these are junk. I found a bunch today that have an employee's first name as email address so obviously those are ready to delete. I don't want to spend a lot of time picking through 30K by hand. What kind of report can I run to pull out the invalid emails that I can then delete in batches?

Alternately, what about archiving leads? Archiving old programs and assets makes sense, but I'm not sure about archiving leads.

I created a report a few weeks ago to find leads with two emails assigned to one name. Located 341. I'm still picking through those manually but it is taking a long time. Is there a better way to accomplish my goal of cleaning and scrubbing?

6 REPLIES 6
SydneyMulligan
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Are you just asking how to batch delete a group of leads? Just hold down SHIFT and click the beginning and then the end of the group you want to delete. If it's everyone in the list, there is a "Select All" button at the top usually. Then you can right click on the group, go to "Special" and then "Delete Leads"

pastedImage_2.png

It will delete them all at once.

If you're asking how to find junk leads to delete, it depends on what you're looking for, but it sounds like you have a good idea. Just create a smart list. We usually make these lists in the Design Studio under Group Smart Lists so we can go back and reference what criteria we used to delete later.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Every time I look I find a new weird thing. Today it was "leads" who are our own employees. These leads have no names, etc., but in the email field it has their first name. Yes, just their first name in there.

I have also seen many leads with the same name, different emails. I found these by modifying the dup report. The weirdest part is their info had been edited as if the list was re-imported from a spreadsheet that had one column removed. Instead of me@state.edu it would look like me8005551212@state.edu or me.me@state.edu.

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Hello Marilyn,

if you are working to clean out your database, here is a great article by Josh Hill here: http://developers.marketo.com/blog/how-to-clean-your-marketo-database/, which is a good place to start.

If you just want to get rid of records that have invalid emails, you can create a smart list with Email Invalid field as follows:

pastedImage_1.png

Please be careful when deleting leads that are synchronized with SFDC or other CRM system - as a rule of thumb Contacts should never be deleted and Leads should only be deleted if they are inactive.

Best,

Pavel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Is that smart list created in System Smart Lists or Group Smart Lists (sorry, newbie sometimes I get confused with the terminology).

This is what I have in my instance.

pastedImage_0.png

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Hello Marilyn,

you should create your smart lists in the Group Smart Lists section.

Best,

Pavel

Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

Hey Marilyn,

It sounds like there a couple groups of smart lists you should create:

1) Data that needs to be cleaned up

This would be data that you've identified as a good lead/company but some of the data on the record isn't correct

2) Data that is bad and needs to be deleted

This is the data such as "invalid emails" or other data that doesn't belong in your system.

3) Leads to marketing suspend

This would be leads that you currently don't want to market to (think blacklist) but you shouldn't delete from your system because if they aren't kept as a record they can come back in and requalify as a lead.

There are a lot of great resources in the community about data cleanliness! Check em out.