Re: Wrong form prefill data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong form prefill data

Just got a note from my CMO who navigated to a landing page on our site that contains an embedded Marketo form, and found the form pre-filled with data from a random lead. I've also had this happen recently on a form on a Marketo landing page - in one case someone who was an employee of one of our partners, so not someone who had any access to any of our emails, emails we send to leads, etc. We are wondering if this may be our CDN. Does anybody have any insight into this? 
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen this happen plenty, and it's almost always because of a forwarded email. A few possibilities:
  • Someone receives an email and forwards to a colleague/peer/etc.
  • A link gets copied from an email that had gone out from Marketo and inserted into another email
  • Someone replies to an email from Marketo and the person who receives the reply clicks a link in the original email
In any of these scenarios, the issue is always the same: someone clicked a link that was originally tokened for a different recipient, so now they're cookied as that recipient. The quick way to fix this for your CMO would be to have him/her clear their cookies. If you want to investigate, you could go look at the email s/he sees prefilled in that form, search for that in your Marketo instance, and track down any email click events that might've caused the problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

We had this issue happen yesterday too. A lead shared their personalized link over social media, so everyone who visited had the form pre-populated with their data (including their email and phone number). Any ideas on how to prevent this? I know we can turn off the email token or turn off the form pre-fill for everyone, but I'd like to still have the benefit of these features.

Nichole_Trobar1
Level 3

Our sales staff is always copying links from their own emails and having the same thing happen.  Feels like I am beating my head against a wall telling them not to do this, then they do, and then they are complaining about receiving a bunch notices they are receiving gated content because forms are pre-filling their info.  Its maddening.

Is there any way to reset these cookies from certain users sessions?   Once an error has occured, it just goes on and on.