SOLVED

Writing to SFDC Campaign Member "Registration Type" field from Marketo

Go to solution
Nina_Valtcheva5
Level 5

Writing to SFDC Campaign Member "Registration Type" field from Marketo

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to update SFDC Campaign member status & registration type through Marketo. To give some background, we run events where registrants can sign up for either "Advanced" or "Beginner" tracks and previously we would set up 2 SFDC campaigns for each event (one for Advanced and one for Beginner). Now I am looking to see if we can have 1 SFDC campaign and within it, be able to differentiate who has registered for (and later attended) the "Advanced" vs. "Beginner" track. Ideally, when I upload leads in a Marketo program specific to an event, I would add them to the corresponding SFDC campaign via flow step, update their status as "Registered" and also update their Registration type as either "Advanced" or "Beginner" specific to that same SFDC campaign.

We want this field to relate only to SFDC Campaign member status so that a lead can have multiple Registration Types (since they can be in more than one SFDC campaign) whereas they could only have one Reg Type if we populate a custom Lead/Contact "Registration Type" field. So for example, in one SFDC campaign for a specific event, a lead would have a Registration type of "Advanced" if they signed up for our Advanced track, and for a different SFDC campaign related to a different event, they would have a Registration type of "Beginner" if that is what track they signed up for.

My main question: is Marketo able to read/write to the Campaign Member Registration Type field in SFDC?

Would love to get suggestions of how to do this, or someone has found a solution when you have multiple registration types that you are trying to capture in one specific SFDC campaign.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Writing to SFDC Campaign Member "Registration Type" field from Marketo

I think using the Response Status = Channel Status would work just fine here.

Eventbrite does connect to Marketo although I recall it being less integrated than Cvent. See launchpoint.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13

You can add the Advanced/beginner track as a Program Channel Status and that will get pushed to SFDC automatically if you sync the Program to the SFDC Campaign.

In SFDC, you can setup apex code to trigger the changes to Registration Type you want.

But why wouldn't you just run two separate webinars and Program Channels for this instead?

Marketo can generally NOT write to Campaign Member Record unless you use the API or custom sfdc object sync. For your use case, I do not think this is necessary.

Nina_Valtcheva5
Level 5

Thanks for the suggestion, Josh Hill

Just to expand on my reasoning, I am trying to use 1 SFDC campaign because this would be used for live events where the SFDC campaign is synced to Eventbrite via event code ID, so all of the registration data would flow automatically into that SFDC campaign first and then get synced to a Marketo program. I think your suggestion would work if we were syncing Eventbrite to Marketo instead of SFDC, but I don't think they can be integrated. Would the Program Channel Status solution work in this case?

Josh_Hill13

I think using the Response Status = Channel Status would work just fine here.

Eventbrite does connect to Marketo although I recall it being less integrated than Cvent. See launchpoint.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Nina,

No it's not possible and you are not the only one needing this. Aside from the workarounds suggested by Josh, you can also vote here :

-Greg

Alex_Stanton1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

The only other solution I can think of would be to use a custom field, but truthfully, I would keep the two campaigns separate in SFDC, like Josh suggested.