Re: Would email be more likely be treated as spam if the sender's email domain is not the one in our Marketo account or the sender is not a user of our Marketo account?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would email be more likely be treated as spam if the sender's email domain is not the one in our Marketo account or the sender is not a user of our Marketo account?

I have two questions about if the email I send out will be treated as spam:

1. If the email is not sent with the sender email domain in our Marketo account, would the email be more likely be treated as spam? For example, if the sender email domain in my account is "ABC.com", but I use "Name@XYZ.com" as the sender address in the "From" field. Would the email be more likely be treated as spam?

2. If the user of the sender address in the "From" field is not a user of our Marketo account, Would the email be more likely be treated as spam?

Kaming

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Would email be more likely be treated as spam if the sender's email domain is not the one in our Marketo account or the sender is not a user of our Marketo account?

[Please post to Products in future.]

1. If the email is not sent with the sender email domain in our Marketo account

Do you have the branded sender domain add-on on to your Marketo account? If not, what do you mean by "the" sender email domain?

if the sender email domain in my account is "ABC.com", but I use "Name@XYZ.com" as the sender address in the "From" field. Would the email be more likely be treated as spam?

If you have the branded (envelope) sender domain example.com and you use another domain example2.com in From:/Reply-To: headers, ensure that DKIM is set up correctly for example2.com.  Any other effect on deliverability will be negligible. 

If you don't have a branded sender domain, then you're already using a different envelope sender and From:/Reply-To: headers, so you're not doing anything different.  Again, make sure that DKIM is set up correctly in Marketo for example2.com.

2. If the user of the sender address in the "From" field is not a user of our Marketo account, Would the email be more likely be treated as spam?

No. Recipient servers have no idea whether the From:/Reply-To: has a Marketo account or not.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Right.

You can send from "any email address", but you would typically list an email box that can be looked at by a person, or an alias that goes to a real person box.

If you use a domain that is not yours, Marketo will send it, but the rest of the world will not necessarily believe Marketo's IP has permission to send on behalf of XYZ.com. Unless you  happen to own both domains and do what Sanford suggests.

If you do not own the XYZ.com domain, you should not send as if you were from there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh! The reason I asked was because my company (CompanyA.com) has just merged with another company (CompanyB.com) and formed a new company (CompanyC.com). We will keep both companies. So we will send emails with different domains depending on the target clients. We originally add CompanyA domain to Marketo. I am not sure if we have added the domain of CompanyB and CompanyC to Marketo yet. So I will find out.

SanfordWhiteman

We originally add CompanyA domain to Marketo. I am not sure if we have added the domain of CompanyB and CompanyC to Marketo yet. So I will find out.

That is key. If you don't have a branded sender domain (a paid add-on) then CompanyA, CompanyB, and CompanyC are peers.  No single one of them is "the" sender domain.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kaming

1. What is important is that the sender and reply-to email are the same as your branding domain and the SPF/DKIM are set in the DNS of this domain.
  2. This has nothing to do with the fact that the sender is a user of Marketo.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

1. What is important is that the sender and reply-to email are the same as your branding domain and the SPF/DKIM are set in the DNS of this domain.

http://blog.teknkl.com/your-marketo-spf-entry-doesnt-matter-unless-youre-paying-extra/

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Sanford,

My company recently changed its name (and domain) so our domain is in the process of warming up. Is a branded envelope useful even if the domain is new? Or is it useful purely based on the fact that it matches the from/reply-to?

We're not seeing any increase in bounces our deliverability rate has remained relatively the same - would love your thoughts.

Thanks,

Kim