With the REST API, is it possible to push a lead to Email (blast program:EBP) folder including Program Membership details?

Demand_Gen5
Level 1

With the REST API, is it possible to push a lead to Email (blast program:EBP) folder including Program Membership details?

We're migrating off of one Marketo instance to another and aside from leads, cookie association, programs and email (blast programs) we also want to bring over the membership details for Programs and the Email folders underneath the Programs.  However, per the Marketo API documentation, it seems that we can only push Leads (and their membership details) to the Program level by referencing the Program by name (rather than by ID). 

https://developers.marketo.com/rest-api/endpoint-reference/lead-database-endpoint-reference/#!/Leads... 

One can make the assumption that we can push leads to the Email(EBP) folders by referencing their names, however, there is nothing in the Marketo UI that prevents us from duplicating names at this level...thus, we have no way to accurately reference an EBP folder when a name is duplicated. 

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: With the REST API, is it possible to push a lead to Email (blast program:EBP) folder including Program Membership details?

Nothing stops you from reusing the same Program Name over time for different IDs, yes. I've previously flagged this as a major bug in processes that rely on the Program Name, and seen it result in mangled data in practice.

At any one point in time, you can't have two programs w/the same Program Name.

One of my naming conventions is to always prepend the ID to the name. This eliminates the concern, as long as the convention is followed.

Demand_Gen5
Level 1

Re: With the REST API, is it possible to push a lead to Email (blast program:EBP) folder including Program Membership details?

Many thanks, Sanford.  I'll check with Marketing if renaming the folders (Programs/EBP) is a viable option.